Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount plate position for polar alignment?

Nigella Bryant

Hi all, I'm about to fix a new Eq8 mount plate to my pier and was wondering if just a basic north position of the adjustment pin is sufficient before placing the mount on the plate. Is there enough adjustment to perform a good polar alignment once the plate is bolted to the concrete pier? 

skywatcher-eq8-mount-pier-top-1-01.webp

PSX_20211018_001148.jpg

Non expert disclaimer here, but my reading of the specs for an EQ8 is that you have 10° of adjustment either side of the central position of the 'north pin' so while 'as-close-as-possible' would be nice, you can be a fair way off  and would still be able to achieve  polar alignment.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, almcl said:

Non expert disclaimer here, but my reading of the specs for an EQ8 is that you have 10° of adjustment either side of the central position of the 'north pin' so while 'as-close-as-possible' would be nice, you can be a fair way off  and would still be able to achieve  polar alignment.

Thanks, that's good to know, appreciated.