SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vallis Schroteri now

Nik271

Very unusual view of Vallis Schroteri right now on the terminator. The mountains cast  long shadows over the rille and it looks very different from when the sun is higher.

Take a look if you can. This is the simulated view from NASA but imho the real time view from a scope is even better!

schroteri.jpeg.5eb5febf79e2b0884d9286d22ba6d604.jpeg

• Like 6

I managed to catch this earlier. Most unusual view of it as you say; I think I’ve only seen it like this once or twice before. The skies were pretty milky here so it wasn’t the best view but still good to see. 

• Like 1

Frustratingly, whilst the sky looked very clear as the Moon rose this evening and I was even discussing the possibility of doing some observing with a friend who had stopped by, it is now so cloudy that I can barely tell where the Moon is :(

James

• Sad 1

On 17/10/2021 at 21:45, Nik271 said:

Very unusual view of Vallis Schroteri right now on the terminator. The mountains cast  long shadows over the rille and it looks very different from when the sun is higher.

Take a look if you can. This is the simulated view from NASA but imho the real time view from a scope is even better!

schroteri.jpeg.5eb5febf79e2b0884d9286d22ba6d604.jpeg

Thats one of the great things about the moon. The constant changing of light and shadow. Can make well known features appear quite different. Clouded out here

• Like 1