Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seeing double ?

Friday evening was the first opportunity I had for testing my WO binoviewers so the moon was my obvious first target which did prove to be a wow moment, others have described it as seeing a lot more depth which was certainly the case with me. Jupiter was in a good position but when it came to focus the image became double and I was unable to merge the 2 images. The clouds then appeared so I was unable to continue. Am I experiencing something normal or am I just doing something wrong ? Suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are three possibilities I can think of:

1. You haven't got your IPD set correctly and/or your eyes positioned correctly over the two eyepieces. 
  2. The eyepieces are not being held correctly in the clamps, either they are offset or they are tilted. If you have some eyepieces with smooth sided barrels try those, have both dioptres screwed fully in, make sure that the eyepieces are seated flush with the top of the eyepiece clamps and try tightening only one screw on each clamp.
  3. The binoviewers are out of collimation.

Of these possibilities 1 is quite likely given that you're new to binoviewers and 2 is a known issue with this model of binoviewer.

I found that my binoviewer worked fine with the smooth-sided and short bodyed eyepieces supplied, once I got the knack of using it.  I bought another 20mm Plossl eyepiece to make a pair to increase the magnification, unfortunately it was almost impossible to synchronise the images, possibly because one of the otherwise identical eyepieces had an undercut and the other did not.

Thank you very much for your input. I have a pair of 26mm eyepieces with smooth barrels so when the next opportunity arises they will be the ones I will use and hopefully solve the issue. As an afterthought the image of the moon was sharp and clear with no double vision