SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

15hrs on NGC6888

nephilim

After many hours of faff with the imaging & the processing I think i'm finished with this for now. Only my second image & still much to learn (dont think i'll ever be 100% happy with it 😂) but i'm happy with this considering I've only been at it for a few months.

306 x 180s
30 x flats
30 x Darks
200 x Bias
Gear used as per my signature
Calibration, Processing etc in PI

Thanks for looking

Steve

Image28.png

• Like 21

18 minutes ago, Mike73 said:

Looks real nice Steve. I like how the FoV includes the loop of Ha around the Crescent. 😎

So what target is next? NGC 7000?

Thanks Mike.
I think I've done all I can with this as many of the subs were below par & i've had to spend a heck of a lot of time in PI trying to correct issues. I'm leaving it now & hopefully will look back in a years time to see how (or if 🤣) i've progressed.

I think next is going to be IC 405 (The Flaming Star ) in Auriga, with the Samyang it gives a very good FOV & is perfectly placed in my garden for the next few months. I'm obviously very keen to try M42 as i'll also be able to get the Horsehead & Flame Nebula in there as well. That will have to wait a while before it clears my roof.

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MHaneferd said:

Looks impressive!! 

I am pretty new to this, but I am curious of why did you do so many Bias frames?

Thank you. I'm also pretty new to all this & I took advice from someone a lot more experienced than me, they take no time at all to do. If I get time I might re process without the bias & see if theres a noticeable difference.

On 17/10/2021 at 12:37, nephilim said:

After many hours of faff with the imaging & the processing I think i'm finished with this for now. Only my second image & still much to learn (dont think i'll ever be 100% happy with it 😂) but i'm happy with this considering I've only been at it for a few months.

Nice shot. There is quite a lot of detail in there, so would be great to see the intricacy of NGC6888 in closer detail (if possible) 👍

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nephilim said:

Here's the Tiff file if thats any good or I can post the PI .exsif 

I can see a bit and I am sure there is more in there somewhere but hard to see 😞 Just love the way you can capture such an expanse of sky.

My image with ASI224mc was this, hence was keen to see what was in yours as yours is a much better kit. ngc6888.thumb.jpeg.4ce5d678d6243c26f09372a8a0bf609c.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, davew said:

Hi Steve,

You may not realise this but you've just caught PN G75.5+1.7 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_Bubble_Nebula so well done :) Now all you have to do is spot it !

It shows very slightly better on the Tiff.

Dave

@davew Thanks. I didnt realise that. This now means i'm going to have to put more time into it 😃

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, alacant said:

We'd gladly have a go, but unfortunately it's for pi users only:( 

I'll see if I can save it & post as a .tif when I get home, it was calibrated etc in PI though, not sure if that makes a difference, I'm a bit new to this.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Maybe because it's had all the pi stuff stripped from it?

There's some lovely detail. I think the stars add to it and the context.

1-6888_02.thumb.jpg.569bbac45327edc6b03b8cb91ff3b811.jpg

@alacant Wow thats amazing, I didn't realise there was so much in there. As I've mentioned I'm still very new to this & you've definitely inspired me to continue to learn much more.
Thanks very much for that.

Steve

On 17/10/2021 at 12:37, nephilim said:

306 x 180s
30 x flats
30 x Darks
200 x Bias
Gear used as per my signature
Calibration, Processing etc in PI

Thanks for looking

Steve

Image28.png

Fantastic! I like this, your processing is gentle and less artefacts around the stars. The only thing might be to increase the saturation a little as it’s a bit grey.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Fantastic! I like this, your processing is gentle and less artefacts around the stars. The only thing might be to increase the saturation a little as it’s a bit grey.

@tooth_dr Thank you. I'm going to have another crack at it over the weekend, still a lot to learn 🙂