Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading PixInsight to latest version on my Linux Mint tower computer.

Gina

I'm thinking I might completely reorganise my partitions with data files on a separate partition or even drive.  Then I might install the latest version of Mint alongside the old one and have dual boot.

There's upgrades and there's upgrades...

apt-get update just makes sure the system has the latest information about all updates available for the current OS release

apt-get upgrade will upgrade most stuff based on those files as long as it wouldn't change the version too radically (so you might get a bugfix of the current version of a package, but not a completely new version, for instance)

apt-get dist-upgrade will try to upgrade everything and resolve conflicts where versions have changed.  Generally it's only the kernel needs to be upgraded this way.  There are occasionally other things, but mostly it's the kernel.

None of them will change the current OS release.  For that you need a new set of information for the required OS release (as would be fetched by apt-get update) so the package management systems know what the new versions are and where to find them.  Sorting all that out is probably most easily managed in Mint using the update manager.  There are other ways, but I can't remember what's available on Mint 18.

James

The standard Linux system seems to like having the Home directory with its sub-directories of Documents, Downloads, Pictures etc. in the system partition.  I would prefer to have my data files separate from the system so that I can upgrade the OS without touching the data files.  It would make backing up easier too.

Any comments on this, please?

You could potentially make /home a separate filesystem, but that's possibly not trivial to achieve from where you are right now.

You'd probably need to do something like copy everything from /home to a backup device, delete /home, shrink the root filesystem to a more reasonable size for the OS files, repartition the disk to create a new partition for /home, arrange for the OS to mount it on boot and restore the data from the backup.  You'd need to do it all when directly logged in as the root user too, as obviously deleting /home whilst trying to use it isn't going to go well :)

James

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

You could potentially make /home a separate filesystem, but that's possibly not trivial to achieve from where you are right now.

You'd probably need to do something like copy everything from /home to a backup device, delete /home, shrink the root filesystem to a more reasonable size for the OS files, repartition the disk to create a new partition for /home, arrange for the OS to mount it on boot and restore the data from the backup.  You'd need to do it all when directly logged in as the root user too, as obviously deleting /home whilst trying to use it isn't going to go well :)

James

Yes, that's the sort of thing I had in mind.  If I want to install the latest Linux Mint I shall need enough room for it and I haven't got that ATM.  To do this I will need to run a Live Linux USB as GParted won't allow working on the running drive.  I've done this before and feel pretty confident.  I have a number of separate drives in my tower.  Currently the Home folder contains ordinary files in Documents etc. and also lots of dot files which I assumes are to do with installed software.

What I'm not sure of is how installed software will work with a dual boot system.  I'm guessing a new Linux installation would need all the software re-installed in it.  OTOH if the latest Mint works with my current software that is all I need. 

I was hoping I could just upgrade my OS to the latest version but it seems this isn't so simple.

Reading the information on installing Linux Mint, it doesn't seem possible to upgrade the OS or replace it with the new installation.

If another operating system is present on the computer, the installer shows you an option to install Linux Mint alongside it. If you choose this option, the installer automatically resizes your existing operating system, makes room and installs Linux Mint beside it. A boot menu is set up to choose between the two operating systems each time you start your computer.

As I see it, this would mean I would need to install all the software into the new system and lose all the settings.  I don't want that!

1 minute ago, Gina said:

What I'm not sure of is how installed software will work with a dual boot system.

That would be a bit awkward with a single /home partition, as applications that store their configuration in your home directory might use different file structures meaning that attempting to share the same set of files would get messy.  I'm fairly sure it would break Firefox, for example.

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

I'm guessing a new Linux installation would need all the software re-installed in it.

A completely new installation, yes.  With an upgrade of the existing system some applications might not even notice.

18 minutes ago, Gina said:

I was hoping I could just upgrade my OS to the latest version but it seems this isn't so simple.

I believe most things should pretty much "just work" if you do.  I think you'd just need to update third party applications that do have an OS dependency such as PixInsight after the fact.

James

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gina said:

Reading the information on installing Linux Mint, it doesn't seem possible to upgrade the OS or replace it with the new installation.

I think there may be some missing context there.  I've upgraded Mint versions before now.  I can't recall the specifics for Mint 18, but I think it was possible.

Where you may not be able to do the upgrade is if you boot the installer for a new version off a USB stick, say.  I'm honestly not sure about that.

James

He says you need to start afresh!!  It is NOT possible to upgrade from 18 to 20.  AARRGGHH.

Even worse he says Mint 18 is no longer supported and there are no updates/upgrades available and the system is open to attack.

Edited by Gina

Looks like I need a total rethink of what to do!!

Software list :-
  1. Autodesk Inventor for designing printed objects.  This needs Win7 and could be run on a W7 laptop
  2. Slicer - Simplicity3D - maybe just reinstall
  3. KStars/Ekos may just need re-installing on any Linux system
  4. PixInsight.  What started it all.
  5. Arduino IDE.  Should be fine.  Reinstall.  I have all the sketches backed up
  6. MQTT Explorer (programming for MQTT network).  I dunno.

Edited by Gina

Can't help with the first two, I'm afraid.  I use FreeCAD for designing things and Cura for slicing at the moment.  You'd probably have to download and reinstall MQTT Explorer but I think it should work ok.

Some recent versions of KStars/Ekos did have a nasty clash where they shipped a later version of libraw than is used by various other applications (GIMP, for example).  I'd hope they've fixed that by now as it was a nasty breakage.

PI we already know about.

I think the "official" version of the Arduino IDE for Mint lags the latest version quite significantly.  I believe I manually installed v1.8 when I last used it.

James

• Thanks 1

Been examining my Home directory and there's over 300GB assigned to VirtualBox for running W7 and AI.  That's where most of the system drive has gone.

I have often thought the VB was not such a good idea.  I don't really have enough resources to share them and was considering dual boot with W7.  Trouble is, I'm not sure how to get out of it.  Maybe install AI in W7 laptop.

Edited by Gina

Run a Live Linux USB and see there's about 70GB free space on sda2 which I could reclaim for a new installation.  Think that should be enough.

Been having a bit of trouble with the checksum for LM20.2 so have that to sort out first.

OTOH I'm wondering whether to reinstall the older PixInsight and take sorting things out more gradually.

Managed to find PSU and mains cable for W7 laptop.  It works too.  It has an SD slot so I can copy the AI download onto a card to install on the laptop.

Now copying the AI 2008 Pro Install Files to SD card - 4GB.