SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW AZ5 with a heavy payload?

wibblefish

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

This will holda few more kg than the AZ5 and is a big step up in quality. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/scopetech-mount-zero.html

That mount supposedly holds a 7kg payload, the AZ5  a 9kg payload with the 1.25" SS tripod. Have you tried that mount, are they even available and again  at what comparative price vs the capabilities.

Edited by LDW1

I have owned the AZ5 for many years and its supported on the stainless steel tripod which it  states gives a payload of 9 kgs. I attach a part of the instruction manual which shows switching the Arm Profile. Part of the problem with the high profile is viewing items looking towards the Zenith therefore you tend to use the lower profile. 

Clearly the higher profile gives better stability so you need a method for using this without the scope hitting the mount or slow motion control.

I have outcome this by using an addition dovetail and saddle as shown in the photos.

I should have stated that the 150P fully loaded with finderscope (60mm), RDF + EPs (some 2") is over 7kgs

AZ5001.jpg

AZ5.a.jpg

AZ5.b.jpg

12 hours ago, LDW1 said:

I had a look at the Rowan, it is a wonderful, solid mount but I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison with the AZ5 when it comes to price. It will likely come in at twice the price which is a big factor for many astronomers who just want great viewing on a dark night. This Rowan is probably a level or 2 above manys needs, which is my situation and thus the less but very sufficent AZ5 for my and I am sure many other fellow astronomers.  In its class there is non better than the AZ5 that I have used.  Thanx for that point out though, for me maybe down the road.

Did you follow any  of the links to other altaz heads I provided in the other thread ? There are several alternatives which occupy the price range between the AZ5 and the Rowan, and I looked at the pros and cons of each of them when searching  for a mount which vibrated less than the AZ5 does with my 102mm refractor  I've ended up with a mount which cost less than the AZ5 , but which I prefer for that telescope. It's still not perfect, but the flaws are acceptable ones to me for the price. My AZ5 stays permanently under the 127 mak,  the wide field refractors are used on the TS AZ6,

You made no reference to price originally. Had you said the AZ5 was 'probably the strongest AZ mount with slo mo  controls you can have at that price point' I would have agreed with you, I've owned my AZ5 for a year now, and it has been used hundreds of times. It's good with a 127 mak.

With astro kit there is always something better, and it always costs more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I have owned the AZ5 for many years and its supported on the stainless steel tripod which it  states gives a payload of 9 kgs. I attach a part of the instruction manual which shows switching the Arm Profile. Part of the problem with the high profile is viewing items looking towards the Zenith therefore you tend to use the lower profile. 

Clearly the higher profile gives better stability so you need a method for using this without the scope hitting the mount or slow motion control.

I have outcome this by using an addition dovetail and saddle as shown in the photos.

That's interesting. Because I use my AZ5 with a 127 mak, , I have always used mine at the 'tall' setting simply to give enough clearance for the body of the 'scope to attain a decent alt., * if I get to the point where the diagonal is obstructed by the slo mo , I just drop the diagonal out and replace it 🙂 . I suppose it might  happen that a view might require me to take the slo mo off instead , but that's not happened yet !

Heather

* Because the dovetail  is on the 'bottom'  of the OTA I effectively have to use the mak 'backwards' on the AZ5 to have the finder shoe anywhere useful. 

Edited by Tiny Clanger
added footnote

34 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

That's interesting. Because I use my AZ5 with a 127 mak, , I have always used mine at the 'tall' setting simply to give enough clearance for the body of the 'scope to attain a decent alt., * if I get to the point where the diagonal is obstructed by the slo mo , I just drop the diagonal out and replace it 🙂 . I suppose it might  happen that a view might require me to take the slo mo off instead , but that's not happened yet !

Heather

* Because the dovetail  is on the 'bottom'  of the OTA I effectively have to use the mak 'backwards' on the AZ5 to have the finder shoe anywhere useful. 

I once had a conversation with OVL  the importers of Skywatcher scopes because I fancied using the 150L which is f/8. They advised that the 150L could not be used on the AZ5 because of it's length. I have often wondered whether the extra dovetail and saddle would overcome this?

There seems to be an awful lot of variability in peoples experiences in what the max load of the AZ5 is. Could it be down to variable quality control issues as there are simply too many that have found that the mount doesn’t handle OTAs of over 5kg very well to be ignored. 

Edited by johninderby

3 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I once had a conversation with OVL  the importers of Skywatcher scopes because I fancied using the 150L which is f/8. They advised that the 150L could not be used on the AZ5 because of it's length. I have often wondered whether the extra dovetail and saddle would overcome this?

Because I have the AZ5 'backwards' with respect to the 127, with the arm set to vertical the rear plate of the mak (not the diagonal, the actual back of tube metal plate ) clears the AZ5 base ( the part with 'sky watcher' written on it' by a height of maybe 10mm .

If your 150p can physically be coped with for weight and diameter by your ingenious setup,  I'd have thought the 150L would too, if it is the same diameter . Although I'd suspect the longer tube and (I assume) greater weight it involves might present problems

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

There seems to be an awful lot of variability in peoples experiences in what the max load of the AZ5 is. Could it be down to variable quality control issues as there are simply too many that have found that the mount doesn’t handle OTAs of over 5kg very well to be ignored. 

Perhaps the factors of 'scope type /  tube length along with the AZ5 arm orientation contribute a lot to the variation ? After all the thing is a fairly simple , hefty lump of metal . As I said, I'm fine with the 127mak on mine, but was rather surprised at the way the similar weight 102 refractor I recently bought vibrated on the same mount .

And then there's where you approach the mount's steadiness from : I started with the heritage dob, so compared to that the AZ5/127 mak was a little vibration prone, but no nudge, slo mo  blessed , which made me happy with that high mag instrument.

If I'd started with a 'scope on an AZ3, I'd probably have been hugely impressed with the AZ5 in comparison . If I'd had the opportunity to play with one of those delightful looking Rowan mounts everyone is drooling over , then looked at the AZ5 I imagine my opinion of the AZ5 would be rather different ....

I no longer have an AZ5 but use a modified Manfotto 405 geared head (centre section removed to make it an alt az) which will handle 8 or 9kg. Works great but downside is a new 405 head is now about 500 quid. Was about half that price when I bought it 10 years ago. 

Will just about handle my 125mm APO which is a big heavy lump and at it’s limit of being usable. 

38A9B3FD-A7F6-4368-AC6C-AC0D69B8CD2E.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

I didnt realise Id cause quite the headache over this one! Sorry been busy for a few days but I am reading so thanks everyone for your opinions I find the world of mounts slightly bewildering! 

Maybe I should get the az5 to replace my current refractors az pronto, buy a dob instead of the ar127 to solve the mounting issue and then eventually buy a skymax 127 to share the az5. Oh and of course win the lottery inbetween … and work out how to hide eveything in the garage away from the wife :)

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 16/01/2022 at 09:31, jjohnson3803 said:

Late comment:  I use my ST120 with a 50mm finder on my SW AZ5 and it's very close to maxed out IMO.  My 120 rig weighs about 5kg.  FWIW.

It probably is if you have the model with the light tripod but it sure isn't with the model with the 1.75" stainless steel tripod. That model weighs in at around 9.5kg ( 21 lb. ), it carries my 13-14lb. NP101 and my 20lb. 127mm f6.6 refractor like a charm.

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Tested an AZ5 with the steel trippd and it was unusable with an OTA of over 5kg due to severe vibrations.  Many others have found the same so perhaps earlier versions were better? 🤔

Mine sure is, thats all that counts and then again I don't get too critical, lol !  5kg scope on a 9.5 kg mount / tripod, unusable ? Really ?

Edited by LDW1

On 15/10/2021 at 06:00, wibblefish said:

I created a thread where I mentioned this but it seemed a better place to ask than where I had done previously (as this is also a different question).

I own this mount for my Sky Watcher 100ED. It holds up until I go to high magnification. Then it vibrates too much. If you have a heavy telescope it will drive you crazy. Check out the SkyTee 2 or the DSV3. I haven’t upgraded because I’m not pushing the magnification these days. 

Edited by Doasqa
  • Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 04:47, Doasqa said:

I own this mount for my Sky Watcher 100ED. It holds up until I go to high magnification. Then it vibrates too much.

Interesting.  I have an f7 102ED on order and I've been wondering how my AZ5 will do with it.  Guess I could sell a few things to finance a SkyTee.

6 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Interesting.  I have an f7 102ED on order and I've been wondering how my AZ5 will do with it.  Guess I could sell a few things to finance a SkyTee.

How long and what is the weight of you’re telescope?

The Skytee is a bargain. OK not a precision bit of kit but works brilliantly although it may need a bit of fettling to get the best out of it. 

Think pf ot as future proofing as it will handle a biiger scope later on .

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Skytee is a bargain. OK not a precision bit of kit but works brilliantly although it may need a bit of fettling to get the best out of it. 

Think pf ot as future proofing as it will handle a biiger scope later on .

I was surprised how inexpensive the SkyTee id to ship to the USA. They must absorb some of the cost. 

1 hour ago, Doasqa said:

How long and what is the weight of you’re telescope?

If it will work, I could sell you the AZ5 and get something more heavy duty. Although I would sell the head only and keep my tripod. It just might do for because you’re OTL is shorter than my Sky Watcher 100ED. I believe that’s where the problem lies, the OTA is on mine long it vibrates when focusing at high magnification. I think the AZ5 is a great mount, In fact now that I’m getting away from higher magnification I’m less inclined to complain about it. It’s with a 5mm eyepiece at 185x where there is a bit of vibration, only when focusing. That magnification it’s too much for the telescope anyway because the object moves out of view too quickly. . First I was big on magnification but with the problems of high magnification I’m happier at somewhere around 125X. And the only time you really need magnification is when you’re looking at the planets. All of the DSO’s are better viewed at low magnification. 

Edited by Doasqa