Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bubble and friends

Mike73

So many objects in just one small patch of sky but the main ones here are the Lobster Nebula(SH2-157), The Bubble nebula(NGC7635) and the open cluster on the right of that is M52. 

There is 14.5 hours of integrated data here but still I'm constantly amazed at just how much detail my little Redcat with its whopping 51mm aperture can see! I've been in 21.8 mag skies with a 16" dobsonian and never dreamed of seeing this much.

I did capture an extra 6 hours of SII but I just dont like how the SHO palette looks in wide field images but I'm really taken with HOO. I did consider adding RGB for the stars but as they are so small I didn't think it would really add anything to the image?

Processed using PI and Photoshop, I also used StarXTerminator to create the starless image and it worked great, I'II definitely purchase it after my trial has ended.

Redcat 51

HEQ5

ASI 1600mm Pro

Antlia 3nm Ha and OIII filters

95x300's Ha

78x300's Oiii

Captured from home under 20.3 SQM 

1855434931_finished.thumb.jpg.6294c5b9c3867db5bce3124a8d2964e2.jpg

Edited by Mike73
  • Like 22

2 hours ago, Mike73 said:

Processed using PI and Photoshop, I also used StarXTerminator to create the starless image and it worked great, I'II definitely purchase it after my trial has ended

because it's better than starnet++ or is it usability/speed ?

stu

4 hours ago, powerlord said:

because it's better than starnet++ or is it usability/speed ?

stu

Both really, the starless results are far better as you don’t get that strange waffle effect that Starnet can show. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nephilim said:

Really nice image there Mike, well worth the hours put in. 

Thanks Steve. I actually got another 6 hours of SII on it but as soon as I processed it as SHO or HSO it just didn't look that great so that was 6 hours of clear sky wasted and another rookie error notched up. 😂

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Mike73 said:

Thanks Steve. I actually got another 6 hours of SII on it but as soon as I processed it as SHO or HSO it just didn't look that great so that was 6 hours of clear sky wasted and another rookie error notched up. 😂

Gutted, its still a cracking image & plenty of time to put more hours into it.
I had a similar issue with my Crescent Nebula the other month. Had 10hrs on it & ended up been ruthless with SubFrame Selector in PI & lost around 7hrs. I was really happy with the end result but those extra hours would have made a big difference. I'm a bit torn today, its forecast clear for around 7hrs & I want to have a crack at NGC 7000 but I'd also like to add more to the Crescent as that 6/ 7hrs would make a big difference.😬

I'm 50/50 on what to do so I think you should make that decision for me 😂

50 minutes ago, nephilim said:

Gutted, its still a cracking image & plenty of time to put more hours into it.
I had a similar issue with my Crescent Nebula the other month. Had 10hrs on it & ended up been ruthless with SubFrame Selector in PI & lost around 7hrs. I was really happy with the end result but those extra hours would have made a big difference. I'm a bit torn today, its forecast clear for around 7hrs & I want to have a crack at NGC 7000 but I'd also like to add more to the Crescent as that 6/ 7hrs would make a big difference.😬

I'm 50/50 on what to do so I think you should make that decision for me 😂

Your Crescent was really nice and completely worth getting more data on rather than waiting a year so my advice is to hit that just one more night just to finish it off. Besides lots of new Autumn targets are just round the corner. Wow!!! Check me out making decisions!!!! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mike73 said:

Your Crescent was really nice and completely worth getting more data on rather than waiting a year so my advice is to hit that just one more night just to finish it off. Besides lots of new Autumn targets are just round the corner. Wow!!! Check me out making decisions!!!! 

@Mike73 Cheers mate, Crescent it is then (I hate making decisions 😂) It also passes the Meridian soon so I wont have to bother with that faff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

Lovey image of this region of sky. Some regions just work best in the wider-field, so many different Sharpless, NGC and LDNs knocking around there. Well done.

Thanks Colm.

Yes so many objects in there, even a Nova.

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/nova-in-cassiopeia-brightens-suddenly/

11 minutes ago, Mike73 said:

Thanks Colm.

Yes so many objects in there, even a Nova.

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/nova-in-cassiopeia-brightens-suddenly/

That's true. I've been imaging this region myself but in a filterless RGB/OSC mode. The nova pops out in an OSC, in a pinkish hue compared to the natural star colors. Interesting.

• Like 1