Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Wiltshire ✨

slaine

Hello all,

Thought it's only fair to say hello, rather than use the forum as 'Guest'. I must say, SGL is a wealth of info. Much of which goes straight over my head. Hopefully that will change.

Yes, unfortunately yet another beginner 😉 I have always been interested in photography, owning several DSLRs over the years, mainly landscape photography. Aerial photography is another area I love and spend a great deal of time. So it was only a matter of time before I go even further afield.

I bought an old Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT a few weeks back, and found it relatively simple to use. At that point, I learnt about all the different mounts (AZ vs EQ etc), and how this telescope isn't the best for AP. That said, it was cheap and got me hooked - so it was worth it. I have since purchased a Star Adventurer 2i, as now I can take long exposures (>20 sec). I think the biggest challenge for me (and I am sure I am not alone when starting off) is terminology, and the sheer amount of information out there.

I will try not to pester you all with too many questions 😅

All the very best.

Edited by slaine
  • Like 3

I have so far managed 4 goes with the new (to me) setup so far, in the past couple of weeks.

Obviously, still learning the ropes. Mainly spending my spare time reading and watching YouTube videos. Here are a few shots I have managed so far. 

Using my Canon 250D, a Samyang Prime 135mm f/2 lens and the Star Adventurer 2i, 33x120 second subs.

1188588850_20211011-Andromeda_2.thumb.jpg.fd1cc5315dcfaabffdbabcc34247e97c.jpg

And a couple of lunar shots last night when the clouds decided to part for 3 seconds. On my Celestron Nexstar 102 SLR and Canon 250D.

IMG_1789.jpg.7b5e984d52bfc33c92a7a63a2bc938cd.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg.9638f37e2ed202c84276fa2b8c7c966f.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/10/2021 at 17:41, slaine said:

Thank you for all the welcome wishes, a very warm welcome indeed!

@rwilkey Hi Robin, I am also in Swindon, not far from Mouldon Hill Country Park. Although, from Pembrokeshire originally. All the best!

What a lovely area you live in!  I live in Northern Road so a little closer to the town, my son takes me for walks in Mouldon Hill. 

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1