SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking for guide cam recommendation

69boss302

I just ordered an ASAIR Plus but it wont be in for a month or so, whenever they get shipped.  Im looking for a recommendation for a camera for auto guiding and/or polar alignment.  I have a DSLR attached to my Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro but having a rough time aligning so I figure this would help.  I read the manual on the ASAIR, and it looks like I have a USB connection to my DSLR so it can use that for plate solving and polar alignment (Please correct me if Im wrong), but then I was thinking of getting another small/cheap ccd camera that I can dedicate for autoguiding. Or should I not bother?

If I dont get a ccd camera, is the ASAIR app good enough? Should I use PHD2? Other?

Thank you

Bob

Hi Bob

Depends on what focal length scope you are going to image with.

If it's a long focal length such as an SCT you will need an Off Axis Guider, and a premium sensitive camera such as a Lodestar.

If it's a short focal length then a separate guidescope and a basic MONO guidecam such as the ZWO ASI120MM range will be adequate.

Michael

• Like 1

The downside of the ASIair is you are limited to ASI cameras only for guiding, so there is only a couple really to choose from….have you considered Astroberry or Stellarmate, these are very music the same as the ASIair, SM also has an app to use on a tablet, but does cost about $49 for the OS and then another £80 for the raspberry PI, and case…but Astroberry is free, but with no app…so with that just the RPI to purchase….👍🏼

• Like 1

The asi120 is ok for guiding probably, although I get better results with an asi290 on my oag. But it is most likely too small for alignment with plate solving. For polar alignment with plate solving to work smoothly, you will need a fov of 1 degree or preferrably larger. I've done it with a smaller fov, but had more fails. If you can use your dslr for plate solving, then use that.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.  Today I ordered a ZWO ASI290mm and an Orion 60mm Guide Scope with Helical Focuser. I think its good for what I have now, as well as something I can grow in to when I get a more advanced telescope. Rest assured, Ill be asking questions about that too :)

Bob

5 hours ago, 69boss302 said:

Thank you everyone.  Today I ordered a ZWO ASI290mm and an Orion 60mm Guide Scope with Helical Focuser. I think its good for what I have now, as well as something I can grow in to when I get a more advanced telescope. Rest assured, Ill be asking questions about that too :)

Bob

You never mentioned what scope you was going to pair it with?  

Another downside to the air is that you won't get all the functions that phd offers, one being quite important

3 hours ago, newbie alert said:

You never mentioned what scope you was going to pair it with?  

Another downside to the air is that you won't get all the functions that phd offers, one being quite important

Currently I have a William Optic Zenithstar 73, but I think the combo mentioned above should allow me to put it on my next OTA when I outgrow this one.   Also, I do have PHD2 now.

bob