Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An evening with Jupiter, Ganymede and friends….

Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I have an 8” Skywatcher pillar which I can make work for the moment, but hopefully Rowan will produce something matching in the not too distant future.

Also thinking a pillar is required as well.
I might find out how much the ADM option is, however I'd like it to be similar to the Vixen/Baader half-pillar with the side cut out..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Vixen/Baader half-pillar with the side cut out..

That’s a good point actually, I tend to remove my AZ100 when setting up/breaking down so this needs to be quick and easy, whether by a cut out pillar or other means. The skywatcher AZGTi pillar for example works well without need for a cutout.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

That’s a good point actually, I tend to remove my AZ100 when setting up/breaking down so this needs to be quick and easy, whether by a cut out pillar or other means. The skywatcher AZGTi pillar for example works well without need for a cutout.

I think the Baader might be the best option as it has the cut out and the ADM does not.
I'd like to be able to swap out mounts, say put a ScopeTech Zero in place. 
Maybe Derek has an offering???

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

Stu, I cut a 60mm hole in the side of my 7.5" SW Extension Tube, gives access  to the screw,
M10 in my case, I can remove the mount away from all the rest.

IMG_2936.thumb.JPG.eff15eb7b7be4fce718440fac861ec41.JPG

Two questions Alan….

How did you cut the hole?

60mm? Do you have little T-Rex hands? 😉

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

I think the Baader might be the best option as it has the cut out and the ADM does not.
I'd like to be able to swap out mounts, say put a ScopeTech Zero in place. 
Maybe Derek has an offering???

Rowan will look into a pier when they have time. I use a Gitzo tripod with the Scopetech zero so that’s not an issue, easy separation of the mount for carrying is.

37 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Maybe I need a carbon tripod 😀

They are a great match for the Scopetech I reckon. I have my Gitzo setup permanently either with the Scopetech or Giro-WR and it’s ideal as a lightweight option for quick sessions. I used it last summer to carry up onto the local Heath to observe Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE with my Genesis, and it’s also great for grab and go solar with the Tak.

566FE4C4-0E06-4636-884B-3F38869123EE.jpeg

76B1F728-F2DD-4478-90E8-B62BC7495C4C.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Baader BBHS T2 prism vs diagonal. 

Yep. I’ve got the previous Zeiss T2 prism, without BBHS coatings I assume. Given that prisms have total internal reflection I’m not sure what different the coatings make. What are the spec differences I wonder? Not that I intend to upgrade, mine seems to work fine.

9 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Great report Stu, thanks for sharing👍.

That TOE sounds great, and I know the HR 3.4 is, having owned one..will definitely aim to get another one at some point.

Dave

Thanks Dave 👍

I’m half tempted to get another for binoviewing, but suspect I would be better off with something like a 7 or 9mm Delite and GPC/barlow them to higher powers.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Dave 👍

I’m half tempted to get another for binoviewing, but suspect I would be better off with something like a 7 or 9mm Delite and GPC/barlow them to higher powers.

Denis in Croatia made some BV's that did not require the use of a GPC, BillP did a review of them. A bit more flexibility with which EP's you could use.
I've just got a GPC 2.6 turn up, tempted to get some 10 mm UFF's for them, as low as I can go I suspect on a random good nights seeing.

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Dave 👍

I get that Stu..I have a nice Carton Japan 7-21mm zoom which I regularly use with the Baader Hyperion zoom Barlow at 2.25x.screwed in.

In my FS128 that combination gives me 334x down to 111x at the turn of the zoom barrel - a really nice and versatile range of powers, depending on sky conditions👍.

Dave

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Denis in Croatia made some BV's that did not require the use of a GPC, BillP did a review of them. A bit more flexibility with which EP's you could use.
I've just got a GPC 2.6 turn up, tempted to get some 10 mm UFF's for them, as low as I can go I suspect on a random good nights seeing.

I know. Not bothered about low power, I prefer single widefield eyepieces for that, so using a GPC with something like a 9mm will give me a range of mid and high powers for lunar and solar which is mainly where I use them.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I know. Not bothered about low power, I prefer single widefield eyepieces for that, so using a GPC with something like a 9mm will give me a range of mid and high powers for lunar and solar which is mainly where I use them.

I have 18.5 mm LE and 24 mm UFF for BV viewing, thinking of getting some 12.5 mm LE's or 10 mm UFF's. I suspect for planetary viewing BV will be more beneficial, similar route to you. 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Two questions Alan….

How did you cut the hole?

60mm? Do you have little T-Rex hands? 😉

A hole saw, Starrett with cutting fluid applied as it cut, took a while.

Hmmm, will measure and confirm.

Did T-Rex have hands?

• Haha 1

Firstly @Stu I agree T-Rex have hands, the picture bears this out, but in my defence my hands are not alike 😉

71o4jHUAjVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And back to Astronomy.....

The hole I made was actually 70mm, I have measured it and taken some images.
It works very well indeed and was a simple change to the riser column,
But please note my column was cut down from a longer one, the remaining bit now resides with @AdeKing

IMG_3144.thumb.JPG.5febf80baf154ef8568ac12e8bc0ed7c.JPG

IMG_3147.thumb.JPG.f67505421f5a9de819666eac1c6841c9.JPG

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1