Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Covering head whilst observing

Some observers use an accessory called a “Monk’s Hood”.  Basically it extends beyond the face to help block ambient light.  I often use a balaclava helmet that has a floppy face opening that does the same thing. Keeps my head warm at the same time.

One issue that can occur in cold damp weather is restricted air flow around the eyepiece can cause it to fog up.

But the basic idea of blocking ambient light can be a simple way to make the view more contrasty.

Ed.

Can't say I've ever done it for protecting me from light intrusion. Done it plenty of times for warmth 🥶. I guess it would depend on each individual and the amount of light intruding into the viewing site while observing. 

The thing is,  even if it helps to use some kind of hood, as soon as one looks away from the eyepiece, our eyesight dark adaptation will be affected, which kind of negates the benefit of using a dark hood. 

11 minutes ago, jacobingonzo said:

this observer uses an accessory called a "hand towel"- works a treat cutting unwanted light from pesky sodium lights!!

This one uses something called "Two cheap wilco black pillowcases ineptly sewn together" , having found the towel too stuffy for summer use 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A black bedsheet folded a few times so it’s not all over the ground works for me. Really cuts out intrusive security lights. Can get a bit stuffy in warm weather but it’s cheap and it works. Just drape it over my head like a shawl.

I'm using this observing hood:

https://r-sky.org/en/products/observing-hood

Not always, but in situations with light pollution (e.g. early in the evening - lots of cars and illuminated buildings), or, in contrast, when observing very faint DSO's.

Works really well; only minor downside is the fogging up of eyepieces in winter times. You have to "ventilate" them for several seconds, and can go on with observing. Very good fabric and make quality, reasonable price.

Stephan

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bish789 said:

Probably one of the most stupid questions ever asked to the learned on here, but does anybody cover their head like the old photographers to cut out surrounding ambient light whilst observing?

Most definitely yes!  One of the major reasons people struggle to see detail in deep sky targets, especially in smaller apertures, is because of intrusive light hitting the eye from the side. Covering your head and eyepiece will  improve your dark adaption after only a few minutes, and improve it greatly after 20 minutes. The horse head is the most challenging feature I've seen so far and I saw that through a 4" refractor from my suburban site. Achieving total dark adaption may be impossible because of sky glow, but by shielding our eyes from stay light in our local environment is definitely achievable and very beneficial. Even subtle detail within otherwise relatively bland objects starts to revile itself, and shows even small apertures to be very capable deep sky scopes. Below is a small selection of sketches of observations I've made using my 100mm refractor:

IMG_20160205_175527.JPG.8141fecf4ac4948e3e44ea9d7fe36d7a.thumb.JPG.0030af2641335fb2807229f6da528c01.JPG1932614125_2021-03-1008_40_21.thumb.jpg.3cea5dd2f8937df721cb4f6345cbc1f9.jpg431842593_2020-08-2412_38_49.jpg.3be29d8d1b4c869c2680770708c24407.jpgM57 Ring Nebula Tak FC100DC 274570300_2019-03-2620_26_50.jpg.157a9e32bcfc1751a3615ba51a0ce649.jpg.f0fa3ed565a2ba95107d15b27f5738bd.thumb.jpg.aceeb7700959079e851bf203a93d51ce.jpg267122307_2020-08-2412_39_10.jpg.83677d0c879d036e2be6b7c24d15dc6b.jpg

• Like 18

Another positive for covering up from me.  It amazes me so many people don't bother.  I've just returned from Kelling where I still covered my head and it made a big difference even in the prevalent dark skies.  There is always impinging light detracting from the image - unless you are in one of those rare locations where you literally can't see someone stood three feet away from you.

In an urban location its a must do in my view.

• Like 2

I usually have a floppy woollen hat that I wear, and i pull the rim of that down so that it covers the eyepiece and my left eye.  I'm sure it looks stupid but it's dark and no-one would be able to see anyway.

because I have to use the PC a lot, I often pull the hat to cover my right eye whilst using stellarium, to help keep dark adaption.

During the winter I pull my coat hood over my head and the ep. It does the job. Summer I shield any stray light with a baseball cap. 

Another tip I haven't tried but you may find useful is using an eyepatch to cover the eye you're not using. It's supposed to reduce eye strain. Also if you are observing at home and really need to go indoors, keep your observing eye closed to help preserve your night vision. 

31 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Another tip I haven't tried but you may find useful is using an eyepatch to cover the eye you're not using. It's supposed to reduce eye strain. Also if you are observing at home and really need to go indoors, keep your observing eye closed to help preserve your night vision. 

Or just switch the eyepatch to the observing eye when going indoors.

If the sky is dark, I'll wear one of the "monk's hoods" (from an online costume suppliers, linked on someone's post a few months back).
It's not perfect because the material is quite thin, so it doesn't block out the neighbours' brightest searchlights, but it gives my other half a laugh every time I wear it.  It also came with a plastic cross to wear around your neck - I haven't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Assuming one is wearing an eyepatch yes, as wearing an eyepatch and closing the other eye while moving around could be dangerous.

That's why I observe with an eye patch, bicycle helmet and knee pads 😃

• Haha 4

I tried an eyepatch and didn't get on with it really, elastic kept twanging my ear!

I now have a pair of Roy Orbison style sunglasses with the left lens knocked out, Jack Duckworth style. 

The neighbours must think I'm a right weirdo! 😃

• Haha 3

I might see if someone could knit me a one-eyed balaclava! Even better - a one-eyed balaclava with the single eye-hole having a long stretchy extension to go over the eyepiece:

image.png.451f9655aa9ee83f405356f72e0940c8.png

Might come in useful at halloween, too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've found that even something as simple as wearing a hoodie works for me in the summer. Just make sure it has a decent sized hood on it and it works quite well. Now it's getting a bit chilly out my trusty south park "Kenny" style parka jacket is getting an outing and that works brilliantly as an observation hood. 

• Like 1

I have an assortment of inexpensive hats.

I always wear a baseball cap for solar imaging. Keeps stray light at bay.

Several fleece caps [single a double thickness] for spring/autumn imaging & telescope making.

Cycling skullcaps are excellent for extra ear covering in a cold breeze.
[GripGrab "Aviator" is a personal favourite in medieval peasant style. Soft & warm, stretchy and non-itchy.

"Trapper" style fur or insulated caps with ear flaps for freezing + wind.
Some are a bit mean on neck length at the back. Try before buying. Some "fake fur" is itchy!

Never got on with balaclavas. Even at -10C. Prefer the "Aviator."
I need to be able to quickly shed excess warmth around the neck.
I might do some hand planing or sawing. Or struggle to lift "half a ton" manually.

Down jackets are essential wear for hanging about outside in winter. IMO.
I have an ancient, oversized, down jacket in black.
A dirt cheap, charity shop buy is my winter overalls for building projects.
Though it never ventures beyond the rural, garden gate. :laugh2:

Never follow fashion for observing. NOBODY can see you in the dark!
And if they can, then you are doing it all wrong! :wink2:

• Like 1