Narrowband

Possible Asteroids? How to identify?

Jamgood

Hi Folks.

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting in, so apologies if not and please move to the appropriate area.

Early this morning after losing my initial target behind trees I thought I'd go and grab a few hours on Pleiades before packing up for the night. I often use Deep Sky Stacker Live while imaging, just to keep an eye on the data coming in and generally see how things are looking. In the 1hr 30m I got of Pleiades I noticed two objects making a continuous line in DSSL. Being relatively new to all things Astro, I have no idea how to identify these types of things. The two objects were to the side and above of Atlas. The image below shows them after 40mins (top) and after 1hr 25mins (bottom)

So my question is, how do you identify an object like this in your images?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anthony

Untitled.thumb.png.116282e855b47a14d5416769a26e4340.png

Edited by Jamgood
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike JW said:

Hi,

Most likely you picked up the asteroid Sarita ( a main belt asteroid, mag 11.6). I was able to work this out because I have the software Sky Tools 4 and looked up the data for asteroids to see if anything matched to the Pleiades area.

https://theskylive.com/guide is a very useful site.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike. I'll have a look at that site. 👍

YVW. That screenshot is Skysafari, btw. It has a lot of visible asteroids in the database (you need to update it from time to time, although it does do it by itself too). 

For PHOTOGRAPHIC creepy crawlers, I would recommend importing the MPEC database into Cartes Du Ciel. It's a pain to do and if you don't use it often, a reason to lose some of your hair, but it does show you ALL known asteroids in an area at a certain time. You know, because it's fun :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Wiu-Wiu said:

YVW. That screenshot is Skysafari, btw. It has a lot of visible asteroids in the database (you need to update it from time to time, although it does do it by itself too). 

For PHOTOGRAPHIC creepy crawlers, I would recommend importing the MPEC database into Cartes Du Ciel. It's a pain to do and if you don't use it often, a reason to lose some of your hair, but it does show you ALL known asteroids in an area at a certain time. You know, because it's fun :) 

Cheers, I'll have a look into Skysafari. I've used Cartes Du Ciel before but never really got on with it and I went the Stellarium way.