Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Universal Red Dot Mount - dovetail dimensions.

I  have searched but cannot find any information about the dimensions of the dovetail fitting on the base of the Baader Universal Red Dot Mount:

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-metal-v-bracket-for-skysurfer-incl.-standard-finder-base.html

I need to know this as my new 'scope has a Synta-sized finder shoe which is about 35mm wide at the bottom and 40mm long, and has two securing screws. This means that my current RDF base is too small, being about 31mm wide and just 30mm long, so the securing screws almost overlap the ends of the shoe.  I guess the width is not so critical as I can just wind the screws further in, but I really need a RDF mounting bracket that is at least 35mm long. Would the Baader fit the bill, or is it also too short?

If anyone has one of these and can confirm the width and length of the bottom of the dovetail, that would be great.

Thanks!

The Baader Universal mounting bracket in that link is 37mm long - which is a pretty standard size for most Synta finder shoes. the screws are 22mm apart.

Do you have a picture of your RDF base compared, and perhaps the original shoes that it fitted?

Hi Pixies, thanks for the reply.

It sounds like the Baader will do the job.

This is my new finder bracket.

https://lacerta-optics.com/kup2_Sucher-Schnellkupplung-passend-zu-Celestron-und-Meade

This is what I was using. (Or something very much like it.) It is 31mm wide and 30mm long at the bottom of the dovetail.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203153175333?hash=item2f4cdf7325:g:rM8AAOSwkbReViGD

Edited by CanesVenatici

An update for anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation.

I now have the Baader RDM, and mine measures up at 36mm along and 31.7mm across the dovetail. From Baader's site their universal finder base is 35mm across the bottom of the dovetail, so the male part of dovetail is a pretty loose fit in the base, but I guess that this means the Red Dot mount will fit in a 32mm base, whilst the Baader Universal finder base will also take a larger dovetail. So, it is 'universal', but don't expect engineering tolerances of fit!

Baader say that that RDM "fits all Red Dot finders" but this is only half true. The top of the RDM has an 11mm dovetail, as is used with some air-rifles. However, most of the cheap Red Dot finders around - even those sold specifically for astronomy - are fitted with a 21mm rail clamp, so an adaptor (or replacement clamp) is needed to fit the Red Dot finder to the Baader RDM - again not the neatest of solutions.

The only integrated solution I have seen is generally sold under the SVBony name, and this has a 35mm long dovetail at the bottom, with a 21 mm Weaver rail on the top.

The other answer is to shell out big money for the Baader SkySurfer V, which I think is what Baader hope's all those annoyed by all these other Heath Robinson solutions will do!