Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik GP guide camera experience?

whipdry

Hi, Has anyone here tried to use an Atik GP as a guide camera? 

My experience is as follows... I've tried it with PHD2 using the Atik ascom drivers on a Windows 10 NUC & found it randomly drops frames, also tried removing & reinstalling software as well as numerous USB cables but the issue persists!

Atik have been aware of my issues for more than 2 years but so far have not been able sort this... anyone here with a similar issue or has the Atik GP working as a guide camera please make would you make yourself known by adding a reply. 

Many thanks, 

Peter 

Hello Peter

I used one for a season without any issues - other than I needed bigger pixels so I changed it for a Lodestar.

Are you using the latest driver package from Atik ??

Might be worth having a chat with Atik - I have always found them very helpful and knowledgeable.

https://www.atik-cameras.com/#footer

IMG_2481.JPG

17 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Hello Peter

I used one for a season without any issues - other than I needed bigger pixels so I changed it for a Lodestar.

Are you using the latest driver package from Atik ??

Might be worth having a chat with Atik - I have always found them very helpful and knowledgeable.

https://www.atik-cameras.com/#footer

IMG_2481.JPG

Thanks for your reply... Software is all upto date, Atik are aware of the issues but as yet haven't been able to help!

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

What brand & length are your USB cables ??  Are you using a USB hub - if so what brand and is it powered?

USB cable that came with camera plus another from Atik 0.8 & 0.6m also tried another that that came with various equipment Canon Camera, Motorola Phone plus one other new...  connected directly to 2x NUC both i5, through an Atik One9.0 also tried both USB 3.0 & 2.0 StarTech 12v powered industrial hubs. 

I had given up on the GP & have been using an old SXVh9 but saw Atik had a beta of the Core Software that mentioned something about the GP... 

19 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Might be worth trying this Beta version - and the latest ASCOM

https://www.atik-cameras.com/software-downloads/

Thanks for the link... tried the Atik Beta version using various guiding durations with both single & multiple star settings within PHD2 but found the random frame drops are still happening... think I'll test it with the GP specific planetary software, maybe that'll work properly! 

21 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Strange on - I would be interested to know what you find when you get it resolved.

Yesterday I tried using the camera with Atik GPAcquire, I'd never connected the camera with this software before... seems it collects lots of details & settings from the camera, I left most of these on default as I'd not read the instructions but did change a couple that covered frame speed changing them to the lowest rates available while maintaining a full frame.

After leaving it running as above for a reasonable time without issue I disconnected then set the GP running in PHD2 with 3 sec. exposures it would guide on a warm pixel, surprising enough no dropped frames... it's weird just wish Atik support had suggested this when it first happened! 

Eight hours plus guiding last night without a single dropped frame... fingers crossed!