Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier time today

david_taurus83

I would be more inclined to install the disc onto the pier first at a rough level, then install the mount afterwards- less weight to deal with when trying to get the disc onto the bolts/ threaded rod on the pier top. You don't want to go getting placement wrong and dropping the mount. At best, you've got broken toes, at worst, you have broken your mount.......

• Thanks 1

Cheers, makes a lot more sense now. You’ve probably saved me the simultaneous best and worst case scenario with your advice! 

Would the m12 bolt be a standard bolt from screwfix or would it require a more exotic thread?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malftobe said:

Cheers, makes a lot more sense now. You’ve probably saved me the simultaneous best and worst case scenario with your advice! 

Would the m12 bolt be a standard bolt from screwfix or would it require a more exotic thread?

Standard M12. I bought a pack from B&Q around 60mm or so. It would depend on the depth of the brake disc, assuming you went down that route. I bought a pair of rear discs for a 2006 1.4 Golf. Think the inner bore needs to be 65mm for the AZEQ6 to sit into. I used a piece of 10mm stainless steel bar to bridge the recess under the disc in order to hold the mount down. Tightened up after polar aligning and its been solid since. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Standard M12. I bought a pack from B&Q around 60mm or so. It would depend on the depth of the brake disc, assuming you went down that route. I bought a pair of rear discs for a 2006 1.4 Golf. Think the inner bore needs to be 65mm for the AZEQ6 to sit into. I used a piece of 10mm stainless steel bar to bridge the recess under the disc in order to hold the mount down. Tightened up after polar aligning and its been solid since. 

Thank you David. Very helpful information. Did you get any further with the condensation issue under the cover?

7 hours ago, malftobe said:

Thank you David. Very helpful information. Did you get any further with the condensation issue under the cover?

Yes, I just leave a spare dew strap turned on 24/7. Turned inside out and wrapped around the Dec axis. Since adding a Pegasus Powerbox I just set it to auto dew but prior to that I just turned it up to full on the dew controller. Either way, no more condensation on the mount, scope etc

• Thanks 1

Yes, I just leave a spare dew strap turned on 24/7. Turned inside out and wrapped around the Dec axis. Since adding a Pegasus Powerbox I just set it to auto dew but prior to that I just turned it up to full on the dew controller. Either way, no more condensation on the mount, scope etc

That’s a great tip using  the spare dew strap.

I don’t think I’d be brave enough to leave the whole setup out permanently where I live. 

Did you go for the telegizmo 365 series? How is it?

Does it flap around a lot?  I ask because I have had two barbecue covers (for barbecues, rather than repurposing them for stargazing).

The kettle bbq cover - simple shape-  is a great fit (virtually flap free) but the gas bbq cover - a more complex shape in a lighter material can’t   be restrained for love, money or gaffa tape!

Edited by malftobe
Spelling

18 minutes ago, malftobe said:

That’s a great tip using  the spare dew strap.

I don’t think I’d be brave enough to leave the whole setup out permanently where I live. 

Did you go for the telegizmo 365 series? How is it?

Does it flap around a lot?  I ask because I have had two barbecue covers (for barbecues, rather than repurposing them for stargazing).

The kettle bbq cover - simple shape-  is a great fit (virtually flap free) but the gas bbq cover - a more complex shape in a lighter material can’t   be restrained for love, money or gaffa tape!

I realise you did not ask me but I have a 365 cover and it's great but I am quite random with regards to my kit being left out. What I mean is if it's out and it's likely I'll be able to use it in the next day or so I'll leave it all out. I also have a pet heater pad type thing that I will then wrap around the mount just to keep the damp off. If the weather is "nice" I won't bother with it, like today for example I just covered it over with the 365 this morning. As David has I too have a Pegasus powerbox so I can keep my eye on the temperature and humidity so will revisit and add the pad if needed/adjust its temperature if it's all getting too warm as it were. I can also just leave the normal dew heaters on too if it's just a bit of heating I need or it's just short term.

If the weather looks anything like ropey or there is no sign of imaging for a few days I'll bring it all in.

I only recently bought the cover to give me this added flexibility and I'm also hoping to build an observatory this spring but I'll still use the cover in there so not a wasted expense....

Edited by scotty38
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I realise you did not ask me but I have a 365 cover and it's great but I am quite random with regards to my kit being left out. What I mean is if it's out and it's likely I'll be able to use it in the next day or so I'll leave it all out. I also have a pet heater pad type thing that I will then wrap around the mount just to keep the damp off. If the weather is "nice" I won't bother with it, like today for example I just covered it over with the 365 this morning. As David has I too have a Pegasus powerbox so I can keep my eye on the temperature and humidity so will revisit and add the pad if needed/adjust its temperature if it's all getting too warm as it were. I can also just leave the normal dew heaters on too if it's just a bit of heating I need or it's just short term.

If the weather looks anything like ropey or there is no sign of imaging for a few days I'll bring it all in.

I only recently bought the cover to give me this added flexibility and I'm also hoping to build an observatory this spring but I'll still use the cover in there so not a wasted expense....

Thanks Scotty,

That’s good to know about the cover.

I wish I’d have thought to leave at least my tripod legs still set up outside last night to give me a bit more precious learning time tonight. (Clear nights are spent trying to get my head around stellarmate at the moment). 

2 minutes ago, malftobe said:

Thanks Scotty,

That’s good to know about the cover.

I wish I’d have thought to leave at least my tripod legs still set up outside last night to give me a bit more precious learning time tonight. (Clear nights are spent trying to get my head around stellarmate at the moment). 

I should have added that if the weather and so on is a bit in the middle, I may remove the scope and just leave the mount outside too. I am careful not to knock the tripod and adjust my polar alignment plus I have markings on the dovetail so I know where the balance point is so fairly painless to set back up again.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to tidy up the cables yesterday. Even with the Pegasus box, it's still like Spaghetti Junction. With that many USB ports and power cables distributing everywhere, I think this is as good as it gets. The good news is though when the Esprit arrives, I can just add a spare dovetail to it and bolt this top plate straight onto it.

20220129_153318.jpg

20220129_153310.jpg

20220129_153328.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your thread has inspired me again to get going on my small obsy and pier.
I have put it off all last 2 years as we are supposed to be moving and downsizing but covid sort of put that on hold. Now even that covid is hopefully 🤞 coming to an end we still have no firm plans to when or where we move so decided to just build something and take all but the pier concrete foundation with us if we ever do move.

Also I thought your pier build was so god I basically just want to be lazy and copy it ( if that would be ok ? ).

So I have a question and there may be more to follow.

Your hole was 600 X 600 mm and 900 mm deep - I think.
But you did not pour the concrete to the ground level so how deep was the actual foundation block ?
Has that so far proved to be deep enough ?

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

The hole was 900mm deep but I only filled with concrete 500mm thick. The ductile iron pipe is 1.4m long and I didn't want it any higher than 1m above ground level as by the time you add an adapter (brake disc) and the mount, your scope will be near eye level anyway. It's been great so far, polar aligned when first fitted and I haven't checked it since. Best upgrade you can do short of a full obsy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

The hole was 900mm deep but I only filled with concrete 500mm thick. The ductile iron pipe is 1.4m long and I didn't want it any higher than 1m above ground level as by the time you add an adapter (brake disc) and the mount, your scope will be near eye level anyway. It's been great so far, polar aligned when first fitted and I haven't checked it since. Best upgrade you can do short of a full obsy. 

Thanks for the info, I just need to dig a big hole now, you don't fancy doing another one do you, I will pay the train fare 😁

Steve

On 12/02/2022 at 22:13, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Thanks for the info, I just need to dig a big hole now, you don't fancy doing another one do you, I will pay the train fare 😁

Steve

Lol digging the hole isn't too bad! Just chip away at it, no need to break your back! If I was to do it again though, I'd have hired/borrowed a mixer for the concrete instead of mixing in a mortar tub. I'm the king of procrastination yet I found that just getting started and getting the hole dug out is great motivation for getting it completed quickly. Just plan your method and materials well and its hard to go wrong. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Lol digging the hole isn't too bad! Just chip away at it, no need to break your back! If I was to do it again though, I'd have hired/borrowed a mixer for the concrete instead of mixing in a mortar tub. I'm the king of procrastination yet I found that just getting started and getting the hole dug out is great motivation for getting it completed quickly. Just plan your method and materials well and its hard to go wrong. 

Sorry for my stupid question....does postmix work for this type of project? 🤪

3 hours ago, callisto said:

Sorry for my stupid question....does postmix work for this type of project? 🤪

I personally wouldn’t use it. I think I mixed 20kg bags of ballast and 25kg bags of cement at 4:1 which is a strong mix. Perhaps 12 bags ballast, 3 cement? Something like that.

• Like 2

I personally wouldn’t use it. I think I mixed 20kg bags of ballast and 25kg bags of cement at 4:1 which is a strong mix. Perhaps 12 bags ballast, 3 cement? Something like that.

Ahh, okay thanks 👍

8 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Luckily I have had a mixer I bought second hand 15 years ago for £25 and after one overhaul with new bearings and an oil change in the gear box is still going strong.

Steve

5 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Luckily I have had a mixer I bought second hand 15 years ago for £25 and after one overhaul with new bearings and an oil change in the gear box is still going strong.

Steve

by any chance a Bell mixer as the trash we have over here no use to the home owner unusable loved the orange UK version either on the ground or on it;s stand 700 euros here

https://www.outillage-btp.com/betonnieres/914-betonniere-minimix-150-mono-220v-90-litres-5031403060778.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAx8KQBhAGEiwAD3EiPwKzFi25vocTxaCrL1aB-Ab92rBtVousHvzQrRPnMmvcCDAUVoy_wxoC-dgQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

by any chance a Bell mixer as the trash we have over here no use to the home owner unusable loved the orange UK version either on the ground or on it;s stand 700 euros here

https://www.outillage-btp.com/betonnieres/914-betonniere-minimix-150-mono-220v-90-litres-5031403060778.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAx8KQBhAGEiwAD3EiPwKzFi25vocTxaCrL1aB-Ab92rBtVousHvzQrRPnMmvcCDAUVoy_wxoC-dgQAvD_BwE

Not quite a nice looking as that one but that's the exact model I have. 
Considering it was well well used when I got it, it has served me well for at least 15 tonne bags of aggregate and I don't know how many bags of cement.
Like I say one winter I did strip the gearbox down and replace the bearings and give it a coat of paint but what a workhorse it has been.

Steve  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Not quite a nice looking as that one but that's the exact model I have. 
Considering it was well well used when I got it, it has served me well for at least 15 tonne bags of aggregate and I don't know how many bags of cement.
Like I say one winter I did strip the gearbox down and replace the bearings and give it a coat of paint but what a workhorse it has been.

Steve  

over here they have a high price tag why god knows