Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pegasus Doubles, A Fine Globular (M15), And More

cloudsweeper

Friday, 9.10pm, still, mild, some thin cloud, 10” Bresser Dob in action.

I started with double star Σ2799 / SAO 107165 in Pegasus.  This is a matched pair of 7th mag stars, 1.8deg apart.  Starting at Enif, I hopped to the target using x35 for about max. FOV.  I went up in stages to x190, and got the split – very close, but clear, and perfectly matched.  Then some easier ones…

Σ2978 / SAO 073010 (Peg) – 6th and 7th mags, 8.3deg separation – close, but good split at x64; fainter secondary at 6 o’clock. And…..

Σ2920 / SAO 127609 (Peg) – 7th and 8th mags, 14.0deg separation – very easy split at x64; fainter secondary again at about 6 o’clock.

The globular cluster M15 (Pegasus Cluster) was close to Σ2799.  At low power, it was a small but very clear fuzzy patch.  At x159, some peripheral stars were resolved.  At x190, more stood out, and some structure was discerned.  Finally, at x212, more detail and stars could be made out, the seeing being good – the best I have seen this particular target!

Jupiter was at about 20deg in the south, looking good at x35 with his four moons in a line – Ganymede on one side alone.  Going up to x141, there was still some glare with the big aperture, but later some cloud came across and acted like a filter.  At x159, two or three bands were very clear.  

After a quick look at the Double Cluster (easy to get straight into the EP, and always a delight), more cloud drifted across. But I had a very pleasing hour-long session, the first in a long time.  Great to get back in action!

Doug.

• Like 7