Jump to content

1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

NEW StellaMira 90mm ED Triplet Refractor


FLO
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great video @Chris, looks like a fabulous little scope. I’m sure it is imaging biased, but as has been said, it should make a ideal airline portable visual scope too. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Great video @Chris, looks like a fabulous little scope. I’m sure it is imaging biased, but as has been said, it should make a ideal airline portable visual scope too. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Thanks Stu :) and further to the airline portable side of things, I must confess that I forgot to push the rings back as far as they will go! Doing so shortens the scope by a further 1cm when the dew shield is pushed in. The Stellalyra 90mm will go as short as 46cm not 47cm..every little helps :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Aw c'mon! we're not talking nuclear submarine propulsion systems here!

Well Alan, if we can market the Zarkov cloud gun, Jaffa cake tube Heritage 100p's, and the Hubble space telescope, we can add nuclear propulsion to a telescopes also 🤣

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

The scope was only released about a month ago and I see that they have sold 18 so I’m sure there will soon be more reviews but simply only just getting into users hands so allow a bit more time.

Must be a few users that are abroad where it's not cloudy every night like the UK 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/11/2021 at 17:31, SAW said:

Any more reviews on these especially for imaging ? I'm wanting to order one but would like to hear some thoughts on it for imaging and to see some images.

 

On 13/11/2021 at 17:39, johninderby said:

The scope was only released about a month ago and I see that they have sold 18 so I’m sure there will soon be more reviews but simply only just getting into users hands so allow a bit more time.

John is right, it was launched only one month ago but sales are good so we are confident we will soon see images posted by owners at SGL. 

We will also soon have a StellaMira 90 ED triplet in use at our observatory in Spain 🙂 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on sales so far we are predicting our first batch of StellaMira 90 ED triplet telescopes will sell out around Christmas.

Another batch has been ordered but these are extraordinary times so we cannot be sure when they will arrive. 

HTH, 

Steve 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need to get a full frame camera on StellaMira at some point, however hopefully this quick video gives some idea of how well the dedicated 0.8 reducer/flattener works when simply used with a T-ring and APS-C crop sensor camera.  No messing with spacing. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing and please do try to get hands on a full frame camera, while the quality across a crop sensor is great we need to know how well it performs on larger sensors. For pixel peepers, here is an image of double cluster i took with my Fuji xt-4, 10x1s stack.1024849326_Doubleclusterfinal.thumb.jpg.b90b4cd9b6e10e7582defeaa17201120.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Similar slightly hazy sky at my end, same subject; 30 x 180s subs.  I bought the FF/FR but not sure that it was entirely necessary on the small format ASi 533MCP.  That said it will future proof me for something bigger in the future 😁

M33.thumb.jpg.408b1a3c5ce0d9e1910ff8b2592571a5.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Chris said:

Another crack at the StellaMira data... The core was a bit blown out on the first rendition:

 

 

 

 

M33_DSS_3.png

Hi chris, great video. and great images.

Looking at the flattener, it looks like it is a similar to the TS flattener that they put up with their 90mm f6. on one of the diagrams on the TS website, it is suggested that tthe M48 thread is actually on an extension which can be taken off. is that the same in the Stellemira flattener as well?  if yes, what is the thread on the camera side once the M48 extension is taken out and how much does it increase the backfocus. i kinda need the extra space. :S

tscfred80-90-korrektor-filtergewinde-1000.kl.jpg

Also, would it be possible to maybe upload a white using a full frame dslr or something similar please. 

 

Thanks :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rsarwar said:

Hi chris, great video. and great images.

Looking at the flattener, it looks like it is a similar to the TS flattener that they put up with their 90mm f6. on one of the diagrams on the TS website, it is suggested that tthe M48 thread is actually on an extension which can be taken off. is that the same in the Stellemira flattener as well?  if yes, what is the thread on the camera side once the M48 extension is taken out and how much does it increase the backfocus. i kinda need the extra space. :S

tscfred80-90-korrektor-filtergewinde-1000.kl.jpg

Also, would it be possible to maybe upload a white using a full frame dslr or something similar please. 

 

Thanks :)

Thank you! :) 

Unscrewing the knurled M48 adapter on the camera side buys you an extra 5mm and reveals a 63mm male thread on the reducer/flattener.

The TS version appears to come with an additional adapter on the telescope side, whereas the StellaMira ends with another male M63 thread for attaching directly to the StellaMira 90 EDT.

I would like to do some full frame testing, I just need a full frame camera firstly.

I may look on MPB.com to see how much their most affordable Full frame is, hmm? : )  

Cheers

Chris

 

TS:

77fe7a1e529353ca87a6eeeeac2891bf6260afdd091ddf9e43e11732ea388f3c.jpg

StellaMira:

 

StellaMira_2_inch_08xReducer_Flattener_for90mm_ED_Triplet_1[2].jpg

Edited by Chris
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Chris said:

Thank you! :) 

Unscrewing the knurled M48 adapter on the camera side buys you an extra 5mm and reveals a 63mm male thread on the reducer/flattener.

The TS version appears to come with an additional adapter on the telescope side, whereas the StellaMira ends with another male M63 thread for attaching directly to the StellaMira 90 EDT.

I would like to do some full frame testing, I just need a full frame camera firstly.

I may look on MPB.com to see how much their most affordable Full frame is, hmm? : )  

Cheers

Chris

 

 

 

Thanks chris. 5 mm is great as i got a wierd BF combo: QHY268 (12.5+1.8) -> M54 F (4 mm) -> M54 M to M54 M (2 mm) -> ZWO 2in EFW (20 mm) -> ZWO M68 (17.5) -> M68 F to M63 F (1 mm) = 59 mm. 

Have you tried using a OAG with a APS-C sensor.  i think it should give you a good indication if the image circle is big enough to cover Full frame as well, because APSC diagonal + 8 mm prism would amount to 35 mm more or less? 

I was about to place an order when i spotted that FLO has a ex-demo RC on promotion as well. no i am so confused as if i buy two scopes at once, i will no be allowed inside my bedroom :(

Edited by rsarwar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, rsarwar said:

Thanks chris. 5 mm is great as i got a wierd BF combo: QHY268 (12.5+1.8) -> M54 F (4 mm) -> M54 M to M54 M (2 mm) -> ZWO 2in EFW (20 mm) -> ZWO M68 (17.5) -> M68 F to M63 F (1 mm) = 59 mm. 

Have you tried using a OAG with a APS-C sensor.  i think it should give you a good indication if the image circle is big enough to cover Full frame as well, because APSC diagonal + 8 mm prism would amount to 35 mm more or less? 

I was about to place an order when i spotted that FLO has a ex-demo RC on promotion as well. no i am so confused as if i buy two scopes at once, i will no be allowed inside my bedroom :(

I’m using it with the 2600 and an OAG and it works great, had to be careful to get the OAG on the long side of the sensor and pull it out a little to get it in a good position but I’m happy with it now 🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.