Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

And another M31

tomato

Some comments/questions:

I agree with Rodd, I would turn down the brightness a bit especially on the sky.

Maybe better to combine the Lum and RGB data before doing the mosaic, unless that is what you did.

How did the noise compare between the two cameras, one with a rather old CCD and one with the new low-noise CMOS? Did the CCD (Lum) data contribute to make a better image, or would a pure RGB look as good or even better?

What focal reducer did you use, the new one dedicated for Esprit 150? (as I was wondering if I should invest in one of those). It is a bit worrying that you get elogated stars with such a smallish sensor as the 8300. Maybe a sensor distance issue.

Edited by gorann

I followed the recommendations of the script developer, namely produce Lum and RGB mosaics separately then combine these. 
Much as I have a soft spot for CCDs, the OSC data looks to me to be superior, I will produce an image today just from the RGB data to see how it compares.

I have the dedicated SW Esprit 150 FR, I think it is a spacing issue. Ideally I would have a 268 mono camera on the other scope, but I went for the budget option of the FR and my existing G2-8300 sensor, alas my Astrophotography spend is not limitless.

I could sell the G2-8300, but looking at the market it looks like folks are wising up about CCD cameras and are keeping their funds for the latest CMOS cameras.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomato said:

I followed the recommendations of the script developer, namely produce Lum and RGB mosaics separately then combine these. 
Much as I have a soft spot for CCDs, the OSC data looks to me to be superior, I will produce an image today just from the RGB data to see how it compares.

I have the dedicated SW Esprit 150 FR, I think it is a spacing issue. Ideally I would have a 268 mono camera on the other scope, but I went for the budget option of the FR and my existing G2-8300 sensor, alas my Astrophotography spend is not limitless.

I could sell the G2-8300, but looking at the market it looks like folks are wising up about CCD cameras and are keeping their funds for the latest CMOS cameras.

Seeing the pure RGB version will be interesting! I am glad I sold my ATIK460 while there still were some people convinced of the eternal superiority of CCD vs CMOS😉

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

Well, here is the RGB only result. No contest IMHO, even with  my inexpert processing skills. This is only 40 mins integration on each panel, remember.

Guess I need to put together a decent sales pitch for my G2-8300. Hope nobody reads this thread...😆

NewCompositeRGBAP.thumb.jpg.bb986911fd4a7fc6fe46f2a5a9046df6.jpg

NewCompositeRGBcrop.jpg.457e8822336f3e855981b672bd93be56.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tomato said:

Well, here is the RGB only result. No contest IMHO, even with  my inexpert processing skills. This is only 40 mins integration on each panel, remember.

Guess I need to put together a decent sales pitch for my G2-8300. Hope nobody reads this thread...😆

NewCompositeRGBAP.thumb.jpg.bb986911fd4a7fc6fe46f2a5a9046df6.jpg

NewCompositeRGBcrop.jpg.457e8822336f3e855981b672bd93be56.jpg

What's the cause of the diagonal banding in this version Steve? Is it really there? It's particularly noticeable to left of M31 

Mark

image_2021-10-10_183129.png

The star colour is much better in the RGB version Steve. The banding pointed out by Mark is odd - have never seen that with my ASI2600MC. It seems to contunue over the mosaic panels so probably something unrelated to the sensor.

Edited by gorann

The banding became apparent in the  Wipe module of Startools when trying to smooth out colour gradients in that quadrant associated (I think) with my mosaic panels not covering all of the reference image. 

As @Laurin Dave suggested, I think I will try to combine this data with the 12 panel mosaic M31 from last year, as I have now taken the refractors off the mount and put the RASA8 and SY 135 on there, to try my hand at some widefield NB imaging, gulp!

18 hours ago, tomato said:

The banding became apparent in the  Wipe module of Startools when trying to smooth out colour gradients in that quadrant associated (I think) with my mosaic panels not covering all of the reference image. 

As @Laurin Dave suggested, I think I will try to combine this data with the 12 panel mosaic M31 from last year, as I have now taken the refractors off the mount and put the RASA8 and SY 135 on there, to try my hand at some widefield NB imaging, gulp!

Good luck with the RASA and Samyang, should not disappoint!

• Thanks 1

This is a combination of the LRGB channels from my 12 panel mosaic from last year taken with KAF8300 mono cameras and filters (about 4 hrs per panel total integration, took about 3 months to capture) and a 6 panel mosaic taken recently in one night with a KAF8300 taking Lum and a IMX 571 OSC (about 1.5 hrs per panel).

The Pixel Peepers will have a great time with this one,  there are hosts of distorted stars, duplicated stars and weird halos in many of the regions, but I’m frankly astounded how the software (APP and StarTools)is able to cobble the data together at all, given it’s diverse pedigree.

But looking at the bigger picture, so to speak, I think it has more colour and Lum channel detail than the component parts, so for me it has been a worthwhile exercise.

791B9985-F436-49FB-B00E-F9F2CF79DA3B.thumb.jpeg.153f89d96209ebd8f2ebeae4303b4f6b.jpeg

• Like 1