Narrowband

Kelling Heath Winter Fest

I'm signed up, coming with an astronomer friendships who is also on SGL, what kit I bring will depend on space left after camping gear. Hoping to fit in a 12"dob. 

Are jaffa cakes the standard currency or is that restricted to SGL events.

As its winter a fine single malt sounds in order.

Nigella, I apologise I didn't mean to copy your post ! I didn't see yours when I put another up a few days later !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulastro said:

Having posted this, there may be many strangers getting in touch who want to become your best friend 🙂.

Well I might be open to offers, but of course one of the reasons that we are buying it is so that I have somewhere to stay during the star party events without have to rent….. We’ve holidayed at KH once or twice a year for the past 10 years, indeed had already booked 3 separate weeks for 2022, but if if the purchase completes we’ll be there much more often than that as it’s only just over an hour from our home in South Norfolk.

• Like 2

On 26/10/2021 at 06:28, Pete Presland said:

Hope there are some clear skies for everyone who is attending. I was there in the summer, lovely dark skies! I would love to get back sometime this winter.

Yes, they have good dark skies, though the light domes from Holt and Sheringham seem to get bigger every year. You’re probably already aware, but just in case not, please note that the KH site is mostly closed between mid Dec to mid Feb even for owners.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Yes, they have good dark skies, though the light domes from Holt and Sheringham seem to get bigger every year. You’re probably already aware, but just in case not, please note that the KH site is mostly closed between mid Dec to mid Feb even for owners.

Definitely noticed Sheringham, when I was on the beach at Weybourne. Compared to my home town though, it's "heaven". 

• Like 1

Bad news.

There is agoing to be a laser light exhibition at Houghton Hall from 22 October – 23 December 2021

https://www.houghtonhall.com/art-and-exhibitions/528hz-love-frequency-at-houghton-hall/

I hope it is far enough away so as not to affect the skies at Kelling.

I have just sent a protesting E Mail to them, even though I am not going to be there to at least try to stop them repeating this sort of thing again. 

Carole 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, carastro said:

Bad news.

There is agoing to be a laser light exhibition at Houghton Hall from 22 October – 23 December 2021

https://www.houghtonhall.com/art-and-exhibitions/528hz-love-frequency-at-houghton-hall/

I hope it is far enough away so as not to affect the skies at Kelling.

I have just sent a protesting E Mail to them, even though I am not going to be there to at least try to stop them repeating this sort of thing again. 

Carole 

Thankfully it should be finished by 9pm, according to the website.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife and I took possession of our holiday home (static caravan) at KH on 11 Nov and have aready spent a few nights there. We're going back tomorrow for a couple of days and will be there again for part of the winterfest weekend, so I will pop along during the daytime to say hi to whoever is around. Other than some binos, I don't expect to bring any gear with me, but if the forecast is good I may pack the Star Adventurer, DSLR and a couple of lenses.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, davew said:

I'm not known for getting excited but even I'm looking forward to it ... Pot Noodles and cider at the ready 😊

I may go wild this year and bring a star tracker with me !

I'm on 336.

Dave.

Nice one, we are neighbours, I'm on 334. Looking forward to meeting you. 

• Like 3

See you all there then.  We've been a few times to Winterfest. You'll know its me by the big wide German caravan with the door on the wrong side, the pair of large dogs, and the grumbling about anyone whose lights are too bright :D

If the forecast is good I'll have my 18" Dob, happy to share views.

Never mind the Holkham laser show,  the Xmas train ride through the campsite will be lit up like a.......well, like a Xmas tree !

• Like 3

I’m new here on SGL but have been going to kelling Heath for the best part of a decade. For those that have not been your  going to love it. Very pleasant environment. Although the skys are not what they used to be. Hope to see some of you there. 

• Like 3

Weather isnt looking good at the moment. 😟

Mind you I was in Suffolk last month (Haw Wood Farm week) and observed 6 out of 7 nights despite the Met office forecasts of gloom and doom.

I'm taking stuff I can quickly uncover and catch whatever gaps come along - going to leave the big dob at home.

• Like 2

Hi to all,

I have decided to abandon  my plans to attend the event this week. 

I was coming with a friend who does astrophotography.  Saturday was looking like the only possible night with clear skies, but even now the wind is not favourable.

Dont mind the cold, but sitting around in a tent for 4 days  with poor forecast for me is too much.

Given the current situation re covid, I would also be more apprehensive about social contact, which I also not really me!

I hope you all have good time, hope the forecast changes and you get some clear skies.

Hope to see you next time.

Rapallokid. 

• Like 3