Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which eye piece for DSO

mastodon

could anyone let me know what would be the best size eye piece for observing DSO with my skywatcher explorer 130 pm or maybe suggest a decent upgrade that won't break the bank.i have seen a few objects including andromeda but don't think i'm getting the besy out of my scope.

I have the same scope (Skywatcher 130p) and i have the same problem with DSO`s,

mainly because of the light pollution here, andromeda was a faint smuge and i think thats about all you will get, but i use something like a 15-20mm eyepiece, if i go much closer it looses contrast and disapears and you can`t make anything out, same with nebulas, maybe a decent barlow may help as the ones that come with the scope are not that good (economy version) i`m thinking of getting a 2x TAL from FLO , about £30 and have had some good wright ups about them.

For DSO's you generally want a low power eyepiece. A 32mm Plossl offers as wide a field of view as you can get in a 1.25 inch eyepiece and are not too expensive - 2nd hand £20 or so.

Most DSO's do look like faint smudges to be honest - fascinating all the same though onces you know what you are looking at !.

John

As John has already mentioned. A low power eyepiece 30-32mm size would be best.

Galaxies allways look like a grey smudge and in smaller scopes details are pretty hard to see when you are looking through light pollution. Dark skies are a must for galaxies.

But of course with higher power comes a darker background which allows you to go at least 0.5mag deeper and see things that are invisible at 30mm. On my old skywatcher I often used a 6.4mm lens on the smaller fainter fuzzies to bring them out better but as other have said all just little fuzzies.

I once tried to apply for a messier club but I was told "faint fuzzy patch just visible with averted vision was not a good enough description.. .but unless you have a 34inch scope and live in scotland then M74 is just a faint fuzzy patch!

Soon you will want a 6/8/10/12/16 inch!

Mark

When I tested the Explorer 130P AZ GOTO with a number of more expensive EPs including Vixen Lanthanums costing £100+, the result was I thought the supplied 25mm and 10mm EPs gave very good views.

DSOs comprise such a variety of size and brightness - more than anything the amount of light pollution is the biggest factor effecting the view.

Mike

• 2 years later...

Archived