Narrowband

Andromeda - What a difference a year makes

I started astrophotography in September of 2020... Mid-pandemic as I am sure many others did.  My first image was of Andromeda taken as a single exposure using my unmodified Canon 6D.  I used my SW150P on a EQ3 mount and manually tracked for a 30 second exposure, processed the image in GIMP and was amazed at what I had achieved.  Therein begins the addiction and dwindling bank balance.

Andromeda_Oct20.thumb.jpg.ada4a66e4d709de9eef36a1e1f44eb54.jpg

Roll on a year and here's my second attempt at Andromeda taken with the Redcat, ASI2600MC, EQ6-R, ASIAIR... etc.  I can hear my tortured wallet crying.  Hopefully my processing has improved too, this is an HDR of separately stacked in DSS 30 second exposures (1hrs worth), 60 second exposures (30mins worth) and 120 second exposures (28mins worth).  Pulled together in Siril, GIMP and Topaz AI. 

Andromeda_Oct21_Final_Low.thumb.jpg.208c0b8a3a0e3d13ab6a819f8e23cfcb.jpg

I still have lots to learn and I'm sure my next Andromeda image will be better again.  Thanks to all those that have helped steer my processing over the year and as always any pointers are welcome.

• Like 9

It all starts with a single exposure that no doubt you stared at for hours in disbelief at what you managed to capture. I too started out with a dslr, Sw scope and Eq3, fast forward a few years and the joy and excitement of stacking the data still remains, despite my much lighter pockets.

Great improvement there on Andromeda, since you asked for pointers the obvious one for me is to just keep adding more data. Try to get the data when the target is as high as possible and be ruthless in getting rid of poor quality subs.

Richard.

• Thanks 1