Narrowband

Southern England dark sites?

Greetings,

I live in London and unfortunately I need to travel away from London to get some decent dark skies. However, I can't drive, which makes it rather difficult to move around. Weather foils my plans quite often too.

May I ask where you usually go for observation near London?

Clear skies,

Jerry

It would probably be worth doing a search to see what astronomical societies are in your local area or alternatively one's you can get to easily and maybe contact them to see where they go. You mention Southern England but you can get to Loughton via the tube and they have a very active society here.... https://las-astro.org.uk

All the best and welcome to the site.

3 hours ago, M40 said:

It would probably be worth doing a search to see what astronomical societies are in your local area or alternatively one's you can get to easily and maybe contact them to see where they go. You mention Southern England but you can get to Loughton via the tube and they have a very active society here.... https://las-astro.org.uk

All the best and welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like they are going to have a star party this week but Kelling Heath is quite far...

24 minutes ago, oscar_camilleri said:

I'm in pinner,  and usually go to Ruislip lido. Its a bottle 6.  But if you don't drive it will be tricky. Not sure how heavy your kit is. 

My rig is light enough --- no more than 12kg altogether. I have no problems bringing it on a train or a bus.

The issue is Ruislip Lido is a bit far from where I live, about an hour by public transport one way. But not far/dark enough to justify staying a night. I much prefer somewhere I can go, stay in some accommodation for a night or two, and observe/image at my leisure, but it seems most of those places require a car to get there 😕

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2021 at 16:27, Concordia000 said:

My rig is light enough --- no more than 12kg altogether. I have no problems bringing it on a train or a bus.

Try finding a spot using this site https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

Then you can decide which one to get to and related logistics.

Edited by AstroMuni

45 minutes ago, AstroGee said:

Just looking the map Audley End from Liverpool Street looks like a possibility?

I looked it up, it’s not hard getting there but there aren’t a lot of accommodations nearby. The last leg will always require a car or a taxi.

I guess I should just give up and consider learning to drive.

11 hours ago, Concordia000 said:

I guess I should just give up and consider learning to drive.

Most proper dark sites will be in open areas which would not be be easy to reach without car. You could look at using a bicycle as well 😉

Edited by AstroMuni

5 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Bike trailer?😁

I have a different problem. Easy access to dark sites but an absence of visible sky due to cloud and rain!

Hey, at least you get to set up quickly when you have good weather.

I got around my problem by roping a friend into astronomy. He owns a car so he can drive us around…

• 2 weeks later...

I have lived most of my adult life in central London and so I feel your pain. I have only been to three dark sites in the last few years and my first wasn't really that dark. 

The thing is that really anything darker than central London will   be awesome. I now live in greater London, near the M25 due south, which is bortle 6 on a good day. My wife and I drove to a bortle 4 area and it was like night day. 

Basically what I'm saying is that even just going to the outskirts of greater London will be a treat.

Maybe somewhere like edenbridge as a start?

Our society Observing group (Orpington Astronomical Society) meeting once a month in Otford Kent (weather depending) which is reachable by train.  I gather from the LP map it is Bortle 5.  You don't have to be a member to attend.  I have no idea what the accommodation is like but there are a few pubs in the village. 

Have a look at the sociuety website, I think this is visible to non members.

http://www.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/observing/

HTH Carole 

PS: I just checked the location of the station to the Memorial Hall in Otford and it's about 2 miles, so might need a taxi to the camping field.,

Edited by carastro

2 hours ago, MKHACHFE said:

I have lived most of my adult life in central London and so I feel your pain. I have only been to three dark sites in the last few years and my first wasn't really that dark. 

The thing is that really anything darker than central London will   be awesome. I now live in greater London, near the M25 due south, which is bortle 6 on a good day. My wife and I drove to a bortle 4 area and it was like night day. 

Basically what I'm saying is that even just going to the outskirts of greater London will be a treat.

Maybe somewhere like edenbridge as a start?

Thanks for the answer.

I am actually half giving up and considering moving away from Central London. Even disregarding LP the rent is way too high…

Probably moving to a B6-7 place with a small garden or a big balcony.

Its reading posts like this that actually make me grateful to live where i do , and having a small garden , in bortle 5 with a nasty street light for company . So , next time i feel like moaning about light pollution i will remember this post and the trials of living in a city . 

I know its not much of a comfort but at least the planets and moon are visible from LP areas . 

Hope you find a suitable solution . 

Stu 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 11:32, Concordia000 said:

Thanks for the answer.

I am actually half giving up and considering moving away from Central London. Even disregarding LP the rent is way too high…

Probably moving to a B6-7 place with a small garden or a big balcony.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but after 30 years of living in zone 2 on the tube map and stubbornly refusing to even consider moving further, I am SO glad I did.

Yes it takes me an hour and a half each way to commute to work, but we don't have to listen to never ending streams of police sirens and helicopters, deliveroo bikes, parties etc...it's quiet, the sky is darker, the air is cleaner, the supermarket is almost always virtually empty an the rent/house prices are soooo much lower.

I occasionally miss having 24 hour corner shops and McDonald's at hand, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. For me at least.

Maybe I'm just getting old

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 13:02, Stu1smartcookie said:

Its reading posts like this that actually make me grateful to live where i do , and having a small garden , in bortle 5 with a nasty street light for company . So , next time i feel like moaning about light pollution i will remember this post and the trials of living in a city . 

I know its not much of a comfort but at least the planets and moon are visible from LP areas . 

Hope you find a suitable solution . 

Stu 

It's funny, I've lived at my current B6 place for 4 years and had forgotten how few stars can be seen from central London. I recently went back to see my parents and could barely see any other than Vega and Deneb etc..

I can't imagine how anyone does astrophotography from a city centre

• Like 1

I recommend the Thameslink train. I am in St Albans which is 27mins from St Pancras on the fast train. We have bortle 6 sky which is MUCH better than zone 1. Maybe try Harpenden, which is another few minutes on the train. They have a common in walking distance from the station. I have not been there at night, but it might be worth a look…

Edited by Froeng

On 14/11/2021 at 11:43, Froeng said:

I recommend the Thameslink train. I am in St Albans which is 27mins from St Pancras on the fast train. We have bortle 6 sky which is MUCH better than zone 1. Maybe try Harpenden, which is another few minutes on the train. They have a common in walking distance from the station. I have not been there at night, but it might be worth a look…

Funnily enough St Albans is one of the places I am considering moving to…

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Nice place , St. Albans .. very historic . ( my wife likes the cathedral and the market ... oh and TK Max )  :)

I visited a few weeks ago and I liked it. It’s more expensive than one of the other place I was thinking of (Reading) though…

• Like 1