which NB palette for the Veil, HOO or HST?

I've recently got a set of Baader NB filters, and this is my first attempt at the veil in NB.

Not being sure if I liked the result, I posted the HST versions in the deep space section, asking for feedback, but not much happened, so I'm re-posting here, together with an HOO version, which I like a lot more.

I've trawled the web, whilst there are loads of HOO versions, there were not many  in HST colours.

Is the veil not a good HST target, or is my processing pants? (or both)

Firstly, just mapping filters to RGB and some star reduction

hst-a.thumb.jpg.d7a889698aa44fc87ad238640eeeb466.jpg

Secondly, tone mapping and generating a luminance from the combined filters

HST-b.thumb.jpg.93b750ab63208f67a0056c5105d5f567.jpg

And thirdly, HOO, tone mapped, and just the brighter stars added back.

HOO3.thumb.jpg.34c81369f91c1c95518d172cecb3d65f.jpg

Whilst I admit that the processing between versions is far from consistent, to my eyes, the colours of the HOO just pop out, where the HST just looks garish.

Criticism, constructive or otherwise is sorely needed

Huw

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

I personally think the Veil Nebula suits the HOO palette best. To me it is more pleasing to the eye and I love the blues and reds that it offers

What got me thinking was that superb western Veil you posted about the same time I posted my HST, so much crisper and more 'structured' than HST, very much less is more.

Huw

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Horwig said:

What got me thinking was that superb western Veil you posted about the same time I posted my HST, so much crisper and more 'structured' than HST, very much less is more.

Huw

Yeah less can definitely be more. I tend to process my images at least twice, the first time I seem to tend to slightly over process, not necessarily on purpose, but it helps to see how far you can push the data, then I dial things down a bit on the 2nd go and have more of an idea what is going to work 

14 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

Yeah less can definitely be more. I tend to process my images at least twice, the first time I seem to tend to slightly over process, not necessarily on purpose, but it helps to see how far you can push the data, then I dial things down a bit on the 2nd go and have more of an idea what is going to work 

That also sums up my approach to processing, and definitely not on purpose in my case.🙈

Huw

• Like 1