Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A huge and distant nebula with a small scope

John

Just back in from a nice session with my 100mm refractor. Originally I thought it would be a gas giant planetary session (hence the scope choice) but the seeing was a little unsteady which meant that Jupiter looked OK but not as good as it can with this scope.

So I changed tack and had a look around at some other targets. While the seeing was mediocre, the transparency of the sky was quite good and even with just 10cm of aperture the brighter galaxies were showing well. After I managed to pick up NGC 404 (Mirach's Ghost) I hunted down Messier 33 in Triangulum and found it quite easily with a low power eyepiece.

I observed the galaxy for some time allowing my eye to dark adapt and gradually saw the characteristic "S" form that the indications of it's spiral arms give. Boosting the magnification a little (38x ---> 64x) to darken the background sky showed more contrast in the galaxy and also allowed me to spot a small irregular patch of misty light next to an 11th magnitude star on the furthest fringes of the galaxy.  This faint patch was NGC 604, an immense star forming nebula that is actually situated within the Messier 33 galaxy. I have seen this object before with my 12 inch dobsonian but was pleased to be able to spot it with my smallest aperture scope tonight.

NGC 604 is really huge as this image shows with Messier 42 shown for scale :shocked::

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/uploads/M33-NGC-604-comparison-Hubble_ST.jpg

If it was located within our galaxy, what an amazing sight it would be !!!

Even though it is only a faint spot of light with my scopes, it is really thrilling to see a deep sky object in another galaxy :thumbright:

Clouds and the threat of sudden showers have meant that I've bought my toys in now but I did enjoy this session even though my targets were not what I originally intended :smiley:

P1090931.JPG.5ba9aa06a203467455e0a1d3792ad704.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 20

Nice one @John. That’s a fine achievement with a 4” scope. My skies were pretty transparent too here so it was a good night to try it.

I think I’ve only seen it twice, once from SGL10 in my 16” on a great night, and then also in an 8” SCT from either Devon or Dorset while camping. I reckon it should be doable from here now though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

... It's always a special feeling to observe objects in another galaxy 🤯......

It certainly is. I'd like to see some more !

I've tried a couple of times to see the globular clusters that are visible to amateurs in M32 M31 without success, so far. There are a few other posibilities within M33 as well when I have my 12 inch dob out again. This Sky & Telescope article highlights some:

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/triple-treasure-in-triangulums-pinwheel110320150311/

And this Sky@Night article, some more plus the M32 globulars:

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/skills/how-observe-neighbouring-galaxies-local-group/

Edited by John
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, John said:

Oops !!!

I meant M31 Stu.

I've corrected it now - thanks for the sharp eyes :smiley:

No worries. I must admit, spotting a glob around M31 is up there on my list of targets to spot. Perhaps I could do it with the 16” from here, will give it a try sometime.

• Like 1