SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary eyepieces for /60mm refractor.

tico

Given the super short focal length of your scope, you're probably going to have to either use a Barlow or tele-extender to get the power up to a reasonable level for planetary observations.  Alternatively, if you are opposed to adding additional glass to the optical path, you could look for used Vixen HRs which were available in 3.4mm, 2.4mm, 2.0mm, and 1.6mm focal lengths.  Tak TOE eyepieces are still available new in 4mm, 3.3mm, and 2.5mm focal lengths.

4 minutes ago, JAC51 said:

For a lower price bracket than the Tak TOE you could also consider the Vixen SLV eyepieces 2.5mm  then 4mm , 5mm.

I should also mention available from our sponsor and showing as being in stock.

21 minutes ago, Andrew_B said:

Are the Vixen HR models no longer in production? I can't afford any at the moment, but I've often seen people singing their praises.

Correct.  Discontinued very recently, so you might still find new old stock at some retailers.

• Thanks 1

Another out of production eyepiece that might be worth looking out for would be the Tele Vue Nagler 2mm-4mm zoom. In your 60mm F/6 refractor that eyepiece would give you 90x - 180x. A very useful range and a high quality eyepiece.

eps01101603.JPG.82872cedf09006b8bb59c1d8651e1e74.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 1

At that focal length I'd go for a decent quality x3 Barlow. Then maybe add an 8mm eyepiece to give x135 and possible a 6mm to give x180. Anything higher powered will be pushing the aperture too far - x180 would lead to floaters as it is.