Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing through the contrails 01/10/21

lunator

Observing Session 01/10/22

The sky was clear in the evening. I had a couple of extra targets to view. When I managed to get out around 8pm there was some high cloud to the south obscuring Jupiter and Saturn. It appeared mostly due to contrails.

It was clearer at zenith. I estimated the transparency as 3/5 and seeing was a bit in and out. At best it was 3/5. 

As Cassiopeia was clear my first stop was V1405 Cass it has faded slightly it is of fainter than HD220770(7.81) I estimated Mag 8.

RS Oph is still around Mag 10. It is fading slowly.
I moved onto Aquila. My first stop was STF2636 it was tricky split at x80 with no colour noted.

My next stop was one of my double discovery CSR3 it is fairly wide double and more easily visible  at x80. I was also able to split it at x32. Both appeared yellowish. The secondary is slightly fainter. The primary is the variable V1477 Aql a cepheid variable. It is listed as magnitude 9.6 but it appeared slightly brighter than this. It was brighter than HD192171 which is listed as 9.61 but is also a yellow giant which is not listed as a variable in Sky Safari.

I checked the AAVSO but the data is limited to a short period in 2010. The data on this star does seem very sparse.

The final target STF3008  a fairly close 7th magnitude yellow/blue pair with a small difference in magnitude.

I had a quick look at Saturn + Titan. Titan has moved to the 10 o’clock position. I have followed it for about ¾ of it’s orbit.

A quick final look at Jupiter 4 Moons clearly visible and 5 bands could be resolved.

Cheers
Ian

• Like 2