Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starbase “Orthoscopics”

I am using the 6mm right now in my 80mm refractor. The seeing isn’t the best but there are moments when it is showing me delightful views of Callisto’s shadow transiting Jupiter. I heartily recommend. 

• Like 1

I purchased a full set less the unavailable 18mm and they are pretty good the views from the 6mm and 9mm are very crisp and clean I’m very pleased so far with there performance and a great price to the build quality is excellent 

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 1

The 9mm ortho arrived today 😀 I’d forgotten no caps supplied on these. Not sure of vintage and whether the coatings would withstand a Celestron lens pen or Baader optical fluid? Could do with a minor clean but may not be worth the risk. 
Any thoughts?180CCD95-9211-4F30-8B09-A7FEAE845345.thumb.jpeg.694555c20f97bb58a45f5ac9de2e42da.jpeg

• Like 1

You don't want liquid seeping round and into the lenses.  I use a cotton-swab very lightly moistened with 91% isopropyl-alcohol.  You shake the swab after dampening it, or tap it against a hard edge of a table or other.  You can also press the tip into an absorbent towel or other.  Then, wipe the lens gently.  It won't harm the coatings.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alan64 said:

You don't want liquid seeping round and into the lenses.  I use a cotton-swab very lightly moistened with 91% isopropyl-alcohol.  You shake the swab after dampening it, or tap it against a hard edge of a table or other.  You can also press the tip into an absorbent towel or other.  Then, wipe the lens gently.  It won't harm the coatings.

Thanks makes sense @Alan64