SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoviewer - Baader Maxbright II or Bresser/Orion Linear? Also eyepiece suggestions

Shimrod

Having read various experiences on here, I am keen to give binoviewers a go. Both the Baader and Orion work out around the same price once a glasspath corrector is taken into account, while the Bresser works out slightly cheaper. I will be using with an EdgeHD 8" and a Skywatcher 80ed (with Baader Steeltrack fitted). I also have a ZS61 but will consider it a bonus if the Baader works on that rather than buy another corrector at this point.

Is there any difference between the Bresser and the Orion binoviewer? The Bresser is nearly £100 less, and I've seen some speculation that the Orion has better coatings that reduce the reflection on bright planets but nothing definite.

I'd be interested to hear if people who have tried both types have a particular preference - I like the idea that the Linear binoviewer will work with any of the scopes, but I should be able to achieve the same with the Baader for around the same price and I believe this will let me use lower power /wider eyepieces.

I'd also be interested in any suggestions for eyepieces - the budget doesn't stretch to a couple of Hyperion zooms. I was thinking of trying with some of the Svbony zooms which seem to get good reviews or alternatively a couple of pairs of BST starguiders.

thanks.

I would go for the Maxbrights as I expect the optical quality to be better. Reflections are definitely something you want to avoid if using the binoviewers for observing bright objects like the sun, moon and planets. If you use them for DSOs the Orion/Bresser might be ok. I say 'expect' with regards to the maxbrights as the problem is availability. I ordered mine over a year ago and I still don't have any idea as to when they might be delivered. 

With regards to eyepieces BST Starguiders are extremely comfortable to use, but do show reflections with bright objects. The Baader classic orthos are a similar price and have better coatings, but are not as comfortable and have a smaller field of view. I have both 18mm BCO and 25mm Starguider pairs and would often find myself using the 25mm Starguiders over the BCOs due to the comfort level, but the reflections prevented me from buying a second 18mm Starguider. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I would go for the Maxbrights as I expect the optical quality to be better. Reflections are definitely something you want to avoid if using the binoviewers for observing bright objects like the sun, moon and planets. If you use them for DSOs the Orion/Bresser might be ok. I say 'expect' with regards to the maxbrights as the problem is availability. I ordered mine over a year ago and I still don't have any idea as to when they might be delivered. 

With regards to eyepieces BST Starguiders are extremely comfortable to use, but do show reflections with bright objects. The Baader classic orthos are a similar price and have better coatings, but are not as comfortable and have a smaller field of view. I have both 18mm BCO and 25mm Starguider pairs and would often find myself using the 25mm Starguiders over the BCOs due to the comfort level, but the reflections prevented me from buying a second 18mm Starguider. 

Thanks for  the info - especially current lead times! I had misread the expected due date on FLO (60-90 days) but it sounds like that might be a bit optimistic if there are a lot of back-orders to fulfill once stock arrives. I can't see it in stock anywhere else. If I decide to go for the Maxbright it sounds like it won't be this season!

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

Thanks for  the info - especially current lead times! I had misread the expected due date on FLO (60-90 days) but it sounds like that might be a bit optimistic if there are a lot of back-orders to fulfill once stock arrives. I can't see it in stock anywhere else. If I decide to go for the Maxbright it sounds like it won't be this season!

I think the 60-90 days might be the maximum option in the new expected due date system. If you do decide to go for the Maxbrights, I think you will be better off ordering them now to get in the queue rather than trying to wait for them to show as in stock and ending up further down the line.

2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I think the 60-90 days might be the maximum option in the new expected due date system. If you do decide to go for the Maxbrights, I think you will be better off ordering them now to get in the queue rather than trying to wait for them to show as in stock and ending up further down the line.

For some reason TS seems to have better availability on Baader products than UK dealers. Another option to check out.

• Thanks 1

I’d definitely go for the Maxbright. It’s a top class binoviewer, nice wide and sharp views, with all the accessories you might need in the future to adapt it to different telescopes and targets. It’s every bit as good as the MkV in my experience, but lighter. I thought the main attraction of the Orion linear (and the other iterations of the same model) was ease of use without a barlow - more of a niche product for lower magnification observing. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deadlake said:

For some reason TS seems to have better availability on Baader products than UK dealers. Another option to check out.

Not in this case! They are showing availabilty in January 2022.

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

How does the Baader Maxbright compare with the Denkmeier Binotron-27?

I haven't heard of Denkmeier before and I can't find a UK supplier, although it is available in Europe. Pricewise it is three times the cost of the MaxBright, and still more than double after allowing for glasspath corrector and short prism diagonal from Baader. I've been reading some reviews of the Binotron-27 and like the power-x system which would save some money on duplicating eyepieces. It's a bit outside my price range at the moment though!