Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad question

You'll probably find having both is better than either, so I'd not remove a finderscope. The Telrad works best for getting you close to where you want to be, quickly. The finderscope is handy for star-hopping from something easily found in the Telrad's view, you'll be able to see fainter stars with the finder. Depending what you're after, the Telrad alone may be enough but I wouldn't give up the "both" option.

Put it where its comfortable to view through with the scope in all positions. Some compromise will be needed for some scope positions but that is a given.

Its a lot easier to find a good position on a Dob than an equatorial

No need to move the finder scope.

Keep the finder scope closer to the focuser than the Telrad since you probably ping-pong back and forth between the two as you zero in on an object.  I generally only use the Telrad to get me in the vicinity of an object and don't generally look back unless I need to reset my bearings if my fine grained search goes way off the rails.  As such, the Telrad can be placed on the other side of the finder scope away from the focuser.  However, if there is enough separation between the focuser and the finder scope, you may be able to position the Telrad between the two, but further down the tube away from the end.  Just make sure you can bend yourself around to see up through it.

15 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Keep the finder scope closer to the focuser than the Telrad since you probably ping-pong back and forth between the two as you zero in on an object.  I generally only use the Telrad to get me in the vicinity of an object and don't generally look back unless I need to reset my bearings if my fine grained search goes way off the rails.  As such, the Telrad can be placed on the other side of the finder scope away from the focuser.  However, if there is enough separation between the focuser and the finder scope, you may be able to position the Telrad between the two, but further down the tube away from the end.  Just make sure you can bend yourself around to see up through it.

When  i fixed mine to the tube there was enough room and i have focuser , telrad , finder ,.... i get what you are saying but for me , having the telrad the other side of the finder was a bit of a trek . 

I dont have a Telrad, but a Rigel, which is essentially the same kind of thing. It sits between my focuser and RACI finder and I use it all the time for easy to find objects or to get me in the general vicinity for the main finder.

My only issue is that I don't use my glasses for the finder or the scope, but I do for the Rigel, so there is normally a comedic juggling of spectacles between views.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

With my 250mm I use a Telrad to point at the section of sky where my target is, then a 9x50 RACI for precise location, then, if required, a 32mm eyepiece in the scope. 

And the telrad and finder compliment each other . I added my Telrad only the other evening and found M13 and M31 in an instant ! It brings so much more enjoyment to astronomy to be able to locate targets easily . 

15 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

With my 250mm I use a Telrad to point at the section of sky where my target is, then a 9x50 RACI for precise location, then, if required, a 32mm eyepiece in the scope. 

That is how I use the Rigel and 9x50 RACI on my 12 inch dobsonian too.

With my refractors though, I seem to get on OK with just an RACI finder.

1 hour ago, John said:

With my refractors though, I seem to get on OK with just an RACI finder.

Same here. My 80mm doesn't even have a finder though :ohmy: The 42mm LVW gives 5°, so, no need.

Any scope where you can look down the side of the tube is easy to point. Not so easy with a Dob!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Same here. My 80mm doesn't even have a finder though :ohmy: The 42mm LVW gives 5°, so, no need.

Although I find it nice to not have to swap out a high power eyepiece for my ~40mm SWA if I step away from the scope to relocate an object that has drifted out of the FOV in the interim.  The RACI can get me back on track again pretty quickly.  Lately, I've been using my GLP more than either my Rigel QF or my Telrad, though, to get in the general vicinity.  It's much less of a struggle to use for someone with a bad neck and back.

I've tried to get the placement of my finders and focuser to more or less be at the same angle so that I can quickly move from Rigel ---> RACI ---> eyepiece with minimal head movement:

dob12topend.JPG.43b4c859920ce7955c2374ba4d2575e1.JPG

• Like 1