3 Scopes 1 Jupiter

yuklop

A little while back I was lucky enough to get 3 scopes setup in the back garden on the same night. So here is a Jupiter through all three! 

Don't read too much into it, they were all done on the quick a bit, so focus is likely as not the deciding factor. The image scale is interesting though as a direct comparison. All shot with an ASI224MC, 30s vid, and straight out of autostakkert, top 10% of frames. No further processing.

The ACF makes a more yellowier image than the classic. The little MAK was a pleasure to use. 

FYI: The MAK was on a skywatcher skymax, the Meade ACF was on a Celestron CGEM on tripod, and the Classic was pier mounted on its LX200 mount.

image.thumb.png.40b94520449c62685780657f0d818d27.png

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, yuklop said:

top 10% of frames. No further processing.

Maybe do some wavelet sharpening on those? Also - align RGB channels to correct some of atmospheric dispersion.

Even tiny bit of sharpening can pull out detail nicely (this was done on 8 bit image - I'm sure results with 16bit image will be much better):

image.png.7583d6a1d2a86f97a21da526519f6cb4.png

Oh yes, I am sure they could be improved drastically. My skills are weak for planetary and none of these are great shots, even for me. It was the comparison of the scopes I had fun doing here, that I wanted to share.

I should work more on planetary. For some reason it never comes out quite as well as I think it should. I think there is a lot of skill involved, and the requirement for favourable conditions.