Narrowband

Eastern Veil 40 Minutes

barkingsteve

First time using PH2 and dithering. Also the first time using the sw aplanatic cc and l-extreme. Spacing seems a little off as getting coma in the corners, using 55mm but i saw somewhere you need 53.66mm for 800mm fl. As a first light with this setup i am pretty pleased with the results.

Ioptron GEM 45 with TS photon 200mm F/4  ( Bortle 8 skies )

guiding with svbony 30mm f/4 scope and 178 mono

294MC Pro with Optolong L-extreme cooled to -10c

stack of 27 x 90 second frames with master dark and flat applied

Processed in Siril and Gimp.

v.thumb.png.aec50de39ce997c49978b088c2e694e8.png

Now to get my head around stacking, debayering raws, processing, etc  :) 

Edited by barkingsteve
  • Like 12

Nice image, I like that. As it happens I imaged the Western Veil earlier this year and have (sort of) decided that I am going to spend most of my time this winter imaging it all and creating myself a mosaic etc etc.

This will allow me to concentrate on it and also get to learn more about PI as I go along rather than chop and change with a different image every session....

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GoldTop57 said:

Nice image, and only 40 minutes of data. Did you do something to reduce the star field?

6 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

I suspect its the Optolong filter that causes this effect.

The L-Extreme certainly helps reduce star bloat but in gimp I played around with shadows-highlights and noise reduction. both helped eliminate the fainter stars. I was using the old Altair triband filter before but this filter blows it out of the water. I didn't even have to do background extraction on this stack :D 

• Like 1