Narrowband

Io Moon and shadow transit tonight

Pete Presland

13 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Io Moon and shadow transit tonight, should visible from around from around 7pm for the IO and 8pm for shadow. Not sure if the source i have started to use is 100% accurate, i miss CalSky !

The word according to SkySafari… let’s see if it’s correct.

815D83BD-0E75-47FF-A763-E26C8FE9E714.png

696A387A-196B-4140-80DB-EF5AD76F5588.png

• Thanks 2

I use this website, very simple but always been accurate for me:

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/jupiter_moons/jupiter.html

Thursday was the very first time I’ve observed a moon shadow on Jupiter and i found it thoroughly invigorating! Very proud of my old Tal showing me it!

(This was also the first time polar aligning the mount and using the motor to track which was great but for the best clarity i had to turn the motor off…)

• Like 2

On 29/09/2021 at 20:07, Pete Presland said:

Thats an excellent resource,  thanks for sharing. Is it the android app?

Seeing is pretty poor here at the moment,  clear but very wobbly!

Sorry, I missed this post somehow. It is SkySafari 6 which is available in both iOS and Android. The Plus version is worth paying for, and also it’s worth waiting for their half price sale offers which occur quite frequently. These are often around astronomical events like eclipses or major oppositions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnF-R said:

Thursday was the very first time I’ve observed a moon shadow on Jupiter and i found it thoroughly invigorating! Very proud of my old Tal showing me it!

(This was also the first time polar aligning the mount and using the motor to track which was great but for the best clarity i had to turn the motor off…)

Good stuff John. They are quite amazing to watch, aren’t they? The old TALs are excellent scopes, great for lunar, planetary and doubles (I’m thinking 100r/rs.

On 12/10/2021 at 07:35, Stu said:

Good stuff John. They are quite amazing to watch, aren’t they? The old TALs are excellent scopes, great for lunar, planetary and doubles (I’m thinking 100r/rs.

Thank you, yes it was great! 

It’s a 2M, it’s a bit tired, waiting for a bit of holiday to spruce it up. I need to give it a thorough service I think but it still does nice views for a newbie like me.

• Like 1