Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tak itch scratched

FC100 DZ due to arrive tomorrow having coveted one of these for a long time. Thanks to those who have helped nudge me over the line. This comes with the Tak clamshell which I believe attaches directly to a scopetech zero mount so apart from a couple of M8 screws I should be good to go with that. If down the line I want to attach this to an AZ100 can I just use a simple dovetail bar like that below (I have a saddle with a D and V profile).

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Trentend said:

FC100 DZ due to arrive tomorrow having coveted one of these for a long time. Thanks to those who have helped nudge me over the line. This comes with the Tak clamshell which I believe attaches directly to a scopetech zero mount so apart from a couple of M8 screws I should be good to go with that. If down the line I want to attach this to an AZ100 can I just use a simple dovetail bar like that below (I have a saddle with a D and V profile).

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html

Congratulations on the incoming DZ.

I use this dovetail on mine: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/takahashi-tkp71423-dove-tail-male-for-mewlon-210.html

whilst the one you link will work I think you would have to do some fiddling. If I remember correctly, the slot isn’t wide enough for the M8 bolts. Moreover the boots actually screw into the Tak dovetail 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Congratulations on the incoming DZ.

I use this dovetail on mine: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/takahashi-tkp71423-dove-tail-male-for-mewlon-210.html

whilst the one you link will work I think you would have to do some fiddling. If I remember correctly, the slot isn’t wide enough for the M8 bolts. Moreover the boots actually screw into the Tak dovetail 

That is a really nicely made dovetail but it is a little bit narrower than some others (41mm) which can be an issue with some clamps and saddles - ADM's Vixen-type dovetail adaptor for the AZ GTi comes to mind. Worth checking the minimum width in advance.

• Like 1

Congratulations are in order.  Your new DZ will be quite the eye-candy machine, and just as my own FS-102 has been...

FS-102q.jpg.169d6ac9926fa4fe478b4bd49283c570.jpg

That one was produced in 2003, and the last example in 2005.  Takahashi then took a break from manufacturing the 100mm+ fluorite-apochromats, and for several years, up until about 2012 or 2013.

The new ones are lighter in weight, whereas my older one is a veritable porker.  Consequently, you'll be likely to observe with yours, and more often than I do with my own.  Enjoy.

• Like 4

Sod’s law it’s a beautiful clear night here and Saturn and Jupiter have just appeared between the rooftops.  But I can’t attach the Tak directly to the mount as planned as I don’t have any M8 bolts! Will get some on order tomorrow from FLO plus a dovetail and wait for the next clear window. Not sure what folk would recommend in terms of a case/bag for storage and transportation? I think a hard case will be too heavy.  Do you get a snug fitting padded bag or something slightly bigger than the scope and do a manual pad job yourself.

1 hour ago, Trentend said:

Sod’s law it’s a beautiful clear night here and Saturn and Jupiter have just appeared between the rooftops.  But I can’t attach the Tak directly to the mount as planned as I don’t have any M8 bolts! Will get some on order tomorrow from FLO plus a dovetail and wait for the next clear window. Not sure what folk would recommend in terms of a case/bag for storage and transportation? I think a hard case will be too heavy.  Do you get a snug fitting padded bag or something slightly bigger than the scope and do a manual pad job yourself.

I'd heartily recommend the Oklop Holdalls available from FLO.

I have one for my Tak FS128 and it's excellent, very robust, well made, but lightweight (about 2kg I think).

Dave

IMG_20210609_101748013_HDR_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20210609_101533405_HDR_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20210609_101624195_HDR_copy_750x1000.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Stu said:

What's the padding like in those Geoptik cases? The smaller version seems like it could be a reasonable choice for my FC-76DCU but I've never seen any pictures of the inside showing the thickness of the padding.

3 hours ago, Andrew_B said:

What's the padding like in those Geoptik cases? The smaller version seems like it could be a reasonable choice for my FC-76DCU but I've never seen any pictures of the inside showing the thickness of the padding.

I’ve found it more than adequate Andrew. I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow to post up.

The thickness of the padding in the Oklop bags is about 10mm. My big FS128 feels very secure inside. 

But it's not just the padding that's important, it's the "fit" and the fittings..the Oklop has great zippers, a pair of handy outside pockets for bits and bobs and an excellent carry strap (handle, Jeremy??) which is well balanced.

I believe these come in 4" refractor sizes..not specifically in 5", but as my scope  has an oversized tube, like other FS doublets, and is F8.1, it fits beautifully into the bag designed for 6"F8 achromats👍.

I'm sure the Geoptic bags are great as well, I just don't have experience of them (my Nadira observing chair is great!), and I actually prefer the black colour of the Oklop bags. Oh, and they do others for reflectors and SCT)Maks too I believe.

Here's a link to my bag..it would suit most 130mm refractors of F8 or less..

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescope-bags-cases-storage/oklop-padded-bag-for-150mm-1200mm-refractors.html

HTH,

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 1