Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick 15x70 session - Lulin and Polaris

Andrew*

Had a quick peek at Lulin in the 15x70s, while waiting for it to rise high enough to get the scope on it - maybe even an image.

I quickly found a bright nebulous patch about 40' diameter between Regulus and Saturn, with a short faint tail extending away from Regulus. No real colour or further details were seen but it was only a very quick look - can't wait to check it out in the scopes.

Swung over to UMa to find M81/2 - no probs - just visible was the contrast between these two galaxies. No luck with M51, M97 or M108 unfortunately.

Then to Polaris to try and split it.

Once I had finished being distracted by the beauty of the Engagement Ring, I took some time to get focus as good as possible, and find the sweet spot of the lens (not the best optical quality for doubles). Eventually I saw a very close tiny point in the direction of HIP 3128 - the bright star outside the engagement ring. Unfortunately, I can't find any good resource to confirm this was Polaris B. SN Pro 4 doesn't want to show polaris as a multiple so I don't know the angle.

Can anyone give me an indication where Polaris B lies or a link?

Cheers

Andrew

Archived