1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

An hour with Mare Imbrium

ItsmeMaw

After an extended period of clouds for me, I got out and just sat viewing the area of Mare Imbrium. 

Watching as the shadow line in some of the deeper craters moved from the rim down into the depths was quite interesting!

I couldn't help but try and imagine the impact that caused the Mare, possibly being at a slight angle, to cause the high mountains to one side while the molten material flowed out on the opposite side.

With it's different looking craters, then the incredible mountains, this is one of my favorite areas to view!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ItsmeMaw said:

I couldn't help but try and imagine the impact that caused the Mare, possibly being at a slight angle, to cause the high mountains to one side while the molten material flowed out on the opposite side.

You are correct, the current thinking is that the basin was formed by an oblique impact - as were many of the large basins and craters - here is a link to the Schultz and Crawford paper on the hypothesis:

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Origin-and-implications-of-non-radial-Imbrium-on-Schultz-Crawford/dd40a9d0aa4853b3b6596bd08e53dbf2f682bca4

The paper was published in Nature in 2016.

Peter Schultz proposed the idea in 2001 using hypervelocity cratering experiments as evidence..............

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2001/pdf/1900.pdf

The  mare filling came much later by the way and was not associated with the original impact event.

• Like 1