Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Refractor For Purely Visual Astronomy?

16 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

Are any of the SW ST series of refractors suitable for visual observing?

The 120ST is a nice widefield scope but brighter objects and/or increasing magnification causes chromatic abberation to rear its head.

If you have £1000 to spare but also need a substantial mount then the Starwave Ascent 102ED is excellent for £500, leaving you change for a reasonable az mount. If you dropped to the 80mm, it would sit on an AZGTI goto mount and steel tripod nicely all for less than 1k.

If you want to splash out on the scope only, then the more expensive 102ED-R is well liked. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

I adore my Startravel 150. A great visual tool. The chromatic abberation does not bother me at all. Detail on Jupiter has been excellent, rivalling the C6. Yes there is a smear of blue which would drive some up the wall. I can see fine detail within the belts, between the belts. I bought it as a low power sweeper but use for everything. The Veil with an OIII filter was great from the garden. 

Only downside with the 150 is it is very heavy, the 120 would probably strike a better balance between aperture and weight. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, russ said:

I adore my Startravel 150. A great visual tool. The chromatic abberation does not bother me at all. Detail on Jupiter has been excellent, rivalling the C6. Yes there is a smear of blue which would drive some up the wall. I can see fine detail within the belts, between the belts. I bought it as a low power sweeper but use for everything. The Veil with an OIII filter was great from the garden. 

Only downside with the 150 is it is very heavy, the 120 would probably strike a better balance between aperture and weight. 

The Startravel 120 I had was enjoyable even for light polluted DSO observing it was comparable with a 150/650mm reflector. The focuser isn't the best, it was too heavy for the AZGTI and just adequate mounted on the AZ5 and steel tripod, so it was sold to try others. I'd never knock this scope though. Wide field under dark skies was amazing. I don't think an eq1b mount would be adequate though.

The 102ED has been a great intro to quality refractors. For £500 I have absolutely no complaints. The only shame is it's imho a tad too heavy & long for the AZGTI, however it's a joy to use mounted on a secondhand Celestron AVX and is OK on the AZ5 for those casual sessions.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian McCallum said:

For low power views they would probably be fine.  You could always add a Baader Contrast Booster to suppress all purple and deep blue light if the color fringing bothers you.

At high powers, their chromatic and spherical aberrations would detract from the view.  It really depends on what you want out of a refractor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, russ said:

What weight is your ST150, as I couldn't see it in the specs on the FLO website...

20 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

I quite fancy the SW ST150, but what kind of mount and tripod would I need?  Also, what about the SW Evostar 150?

Neither will outperform the 200P dobsonian - I guess you realise that though ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, callisto said:

If it's just Visual, maybe a Skytee II Mount?

Skytee II would be perfect. I had an Evo150 f/8 and it was a bit wobbly on the EQ5 at higher powers. It weighed 8.5kg.

Louis D is right about the Contrast Booster filter, works great. Much more effective than the Semi-apo filter.

• Like 1

I've owned 3 of the 150mm F/8's. I found a Celestron CG5 (same as EQ5 but on a 2 inch steel tripod) just about OK with it. A Skytee II with upgraded clamps and counterweighting should manage it OK. An HEQ5 is better still.

The 150 F/8's need a tall tripod:

https://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_04_2010/post-12764-13387743988.jpg

42 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Id be curious if anyone has used the ar127s (and what it would take to mount it). I keep looking at it to upgrade my 90/660 though in my head I know a 200p (or equivalent) dob would probably end up more bang for buck but I do enjoy my refractor! (Apologies for butting into your thread!)

Edited by wibblefish

I had a 12” solid tube dob and had no problems carrying it outside but that was from the conservatory. If you had to carry it down stairs then it could be awkward. 12” is a bit of an inbetween size. Big but not too big for someone that is reasonably healthy with no back problems.

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I had a 12” solid tube dob and had no problems carrying it outside but that was from the conservatory. If you had to carry it down stairs then it could be awkward. 12” is a bit of an inbetween size. Big but not too big for someone that is reasonably healthy with no back problems.

I'm in my early 50's and have occasional sciatica. 

I was thinking of wheeling out out the shared back garden with a set of dolly wheels and a small ramp. I live in a ground floor flat and the back door is down 2 small steps. 

I went 8" -> 10" -> 12" with the 12" giving a really noticeable jump in performance over the 8". Noticeable jump in size and weight as well although my 12 inch is an Orion Optics based one which weighs around the same as a Skywatcher or StellaLyra 10".

This pic shows a 6 foot 2 inch person with 6, 8, 10 and 12 inch dobsonians:

dobs.jpg.5aecaddfea27e43445e905ddf5fb7a1b.jpg

Edited by John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

How about for just out the back door and keep the 200P for portable work?

My first scope was the 200P and I wouldn’t part with it as it has given me some wonderful views. If you are on flat ground a platform trolley will make it very easy to wheel out and be ready to view in a minute or two. I also have the ST 120 on a AZ5 Mount with the stainless steel tripod which is just about manageable for me to carry but I usually take the mount and the scope out separately as I am the wrong side of 70 and can’t risk getting a hernia 😀

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

My first scope was the 200P and I wouldn’t part with it as it has given me some wonderful views. If you are on flat ground a platform trolley will make it very easy to wheel out and be ready to view in a minute or two. I also have the ST 120 on a AZ5 Mount with the stainless steel tripod which is just about manageable for me to carry but I usually take the mount and the scope out separately as I am the wrong side of 70 and can’t risk getting a hernia 😀

That's a problem, as we're not getting any younger.  🤣

Would I have to buy new eyepieces or would my existing BST's do the job? 

I have a 200P and bought a 3” f10 achro to complement it. It’s brilliant, I use it way more than the dob, day & night. Right now it’s out and I’m observing Io transit Jupiter despite conditions, it’s just so easy, quick & light to use. I love it so much I am thinking of buying a Tak 76DCU which is probably the best 3” refractor on the market.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John said:

Neither will outperform the 200P dobsonian - I guess you realise that though ?

I'm not sure I'd agree about that John. I have quite vivid memories of how I felt when sweeping the milkyway using a SW150 F5 Star Travel at my local astro centre. It was twenty years ago but its still emblazoned in my mind. Despite the greater aperture of the many larger reflectors and SCT's, not one scope could match the beauty of the wide, rich, piercingly sharp star fields of the ST150, and DSO's seemed to glide effortlessly into the field of view. It was quite a sight to see under a dark sky, and the memory of that night still makes my heart race. 💓

• Like 3
  • Haha 1