Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dob prob

... tightening the alt knob on the side should help

You are thinking of Skywatcher Dobsonians Helen, the Revelation Dobs are made by GSO and rely on a spring for altitude tension.

Dawntyrant, I am guessing you have just bought one secondhand? Is the spring fitted?

You are thinking of Skywatcher Dobsonians Helen, the Revelation Dobs are made by GSO and rely on a spring for altitude tension.

Dawntyrant, I am guessing you have just bought one secondhand? Is the spring fitted?

Oops sorry :lol:

Helen

The Revelation dobs have circular needle bearings (like a sort of "Lazy Susan") on the azimuth (rotational) bearing which can make the movement too free for some. Many owners replace this with teflon pads (like the ones that you get to put under the legs of appliances / furniture) which allow smooth movement but with a little more friction. Tightening the azimuth bolt can help as well.

The altitude (up and down) bearings are 2 thin teflon pads on each side, on which sit the circular black plastic bearings that are attached to the tube. The tension on these comes from a spring which attaches to a screw in the centre of the plastic bearing at one end and a screw on the mount upright at the other. I've seen Revelations where these are either missing (there should be one on each side of the scope) or have become stretched - they can be replaced by similar springs. Counterweights on the bottom of the tube will also help control altitude balance as Helen suggests.

John

I guess you need to add some more weight to the top of the tube then. I used to have the 8 inch version and found the balance OK but I swapped the 9x50 optical finder for a lightweight red dot type which did upset the balance a bit.

John

Archived