Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using Celestron Neximage 10 camera via Icap - which settings to use?

StarGazingSiouxsie

Hi,

I am just starting out with astro imaging. The Celestron Neximage 10 is my first planetary camera.

After a shaky start, I can now acquire my tagets (Jupiter & Saturn) consistently, thanks to the GREAT advice I saw on this forum to use a Flip Mirror to help acquire the target easily in the camera. I ma taking time to get my foucus as good as I can.

I have been watching Warm Weather Guy's Youtube videos (channel wwgeb) for guidance and have found them very helpful.

I am using a 64 bit laptop with Windows 10, Icap to control the live camera and Registax for initial processing / stacking. 

I have taken a few videos lately and I now have subsequent questions to which I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can give me in answering, thank you.

1. I have been recording using the RGB64 setting. What I have noticed is that I have recorded 4 minute videos (which Icap saves as AVI files) yet when I play them back they are playing 4x fast? IE 58 seconds instead of 4 miutes. Any idea why?

2. Which setting do you recommend I use in Icap? RGB32, RGB62, Y800? etc Would changing to any of these affect the length of the final AVI?

3. The advice I have had thus far is to record my videos with as high a frame per minute rate as possible, as long as I don't excede the exposure settings. Is that good advice? I have been recording with a low resolution setting (something like 720x480) to give me the highest frame per minute rate.

4. I have imported some of my videos into Registax for processing but have been disappointed with results. Using the wavelets function seems to not make any noticeable difference. 

Thank you

Siouxsie

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie