Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A mount for the larger bins

Viking

I would be interested to find out what mounts members are using?

I have a three stage Sony mount that I bought many years ago when I purchased my film Canon EOS camera. I have used it with my 450d but don't see how binoculars can be attached.

I will provide pictures later.

John

how large? My APM 20/40 x 100s weigh about 16 lbs and are mounted on a Manfroto 058 tripod with a 501 HD fluid head. It's basically a big camera mount but it works well cos

a) you can move it about easily and when you stop moving it it just stays there

:blob8: it has a central column that you can wind up and down to get the e/ps at exactly the right height - IMHO this is key for comfortable bino viewing

I bought the whole kit 2nd hand in a moment of madness a few months ago - its luuuuuurrvely :lol:

I like the Manfrotto 028 tripod. The crank up centre column comes in very handy for my bad back. If you are a 6 footer,this is the tripod to buy.

I actually bought another one a couple of weeks ago for my AYO alt/az mount.

Yes, pricey,but worth every penny.

Glen.

I like the 8115 Horizon as given by others. It is solid and it can go up high enough for you to stand under without squatting or bending. Grip one leg in each hand, plaster your eyes to the eyepieces and it gives excellent performance. I believe Skywatcher make it so the quality is good.

I would be interested to find out what mounts members are using?

John

John,

I am using this Paragon mount for my Celestron 25x100 Skymaster:

http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=bino_accessories/~pcategory=binoculars/~product_id=05376

it's really worth the price ! I needed to add some more counterweights, but still very stable and convenient.

Janos

My 22x85's weigh 10lbs so, after seeing Glen's (argonaut) setup, I got a beefy Manfrotto 503 head (rated well above 10lbs) and a Manfrotto 028 tripod. The head will take much heavier binos so there's plenty of overhead and zero vibrations.

Carol,

Thats the head. What tripod do you use?

John

Whoops, forgot that bit, didn't I? :lol:

The parallelogram is placed on the original heavy duty tripod that came with my LX-10 (8" SCT). It had non-adjustable legs (not a good idea for an f/10 scope, what were they thinking?), so I bought an adjustable tripod for the scope and set the original one aside. Never thought I'd be able to use it for anything because it's scope-specific, but I figured out a way to bolt the bottom of the parallelogram onto the top of the flat tripod and it works wonderfully for the binos.

The non-adjustable legs proved to be problematic for zenith work though, so I made internal leg extensions by cutting the metal legs with a hacksaw and inserting 2 foot sections of thick pvc pipe. A series of matching holes were drilled in the pvc pipe and metal legs, and the legs can now be extended by selecting a height, matching the holes, and sending a bolt through the hole which is secured on the other side by a wing nut.

Not too pretty, but it works well. :blob8:

Archived