Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Decided on Larger Scope

25 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Good point, my interest in the mewlon contradicts my statement regarding DSO’s as it is not a DSO scope, I was fascinated with it for a short while. My sights are set on an 8-10' dob considering my budget and intentions for the scope, it would be the best fit.

A 32mm plossl in a Mewlon 180 will give x68 which is great for DSO’s, where the Mewlon is not so good is wide field but you have the TSA for that.

However an 8-10” Dob has got to be the best bang for buck going and extra aperture too  👍

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Well, to be honest I don't mind the typical spikes I have seen in previous scopes (on stars) it is the 6 spikes on Jupiter which were mentioned in one review that had me wondering, I really never knew spikes were possible on a planet. 

Maybe it is a mewlon phenomenon only?? then again, I am just contemplating and judging without having used the scope, I just can't imagine Jupiter with 4 spikes, let alone 6!.

The thing about the Mewlon 180 design is that although you get 6 spikes instead of the usual 4, they'll be fainter than you'd see from a conventional spider.

I'm surprised nobody's offered an unobstructed Cassegrain or three-mirror design given their advantages and appeal to the discerning amateur but perhaps they're too hard to design and make for anything other than very high-end gear.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Andrew_B said:

The thing about the Mewlon 180 design is that although you get 6 spikes instead of the usual 4, they'll be fainter than you'd see from a conventional spider.

I'm surprised nobody's offered an unobstructed Cassegrain or three-mirror design given their advantages and appeal to the discerning amateur but perhaps they're too hard to design and make for anything other than very high-end gear.

Thx, I think a dob is the simplest and most cost effective way to achieve more aperture for DSO’s, I would like to keep it simple.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Thx, I think a dob is the simplest and most cost effective way to achieve more aperture for DSO’s, I would like to keep it simple.

Have you looked at the Bresser? The design looks like it could lend itself to building a nice lightweight plywood base down the road.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Have you looked at the Bresser? The design looks like it could lend itself to building a nice lightweight plywood base down the road.

I like the Bresser’s but apparently getting one in North America is tricky, I think they’re rebranded by ES, actually.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

I like the Bresser’s but apparently getting one in North America is tricky, I think they’re rebranded by ES, actually.

Ive dealt with Focus Scientific before with good luck, but the last time I talked to them they were out of most scopes. You up to building a kit truss dob? You can put a good GSO mirror in there.

A tube dob is pretty handy at this aperture though- meaning- the 12" ! (truss dob your gonna kit build!😀)

Check out Astrosystems site in CO.

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Ive dealt with Focus Scientific before with good luck, but the last time I talked to them they were out of most scopes. You up to building a kit truss dob? You can put a good GSO mirror in there.

A tube dob is pretty handy at this aperture though- meaning- the 12" ! (truss dob your gonna kit build!😀)

Check out Astrosystems site in CO.

Do I ever wish I had time to build a dob, it would be a ten year project lol.

• Like 1

Lol, I can assure you I will but, I can also assure that it will show more fuzzies but it certainly will NOT produce such perfect stars and contrast as my 102….

Alright, frac guys, BACKUUUUP!!!! the mirror men are surrounding me!

Ypu have opened a can of venomous snakes with that statement🤣

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Ok so I used to have a 10" Orion pushto, was a decent scope and served me well until I had a second dose of aperture fever.

Plus points. Lightweight, accurate, easy to align and use.

Negative points. Only 10" 😉, the pushto handset is LCD and when it gets cold it become faint to see or even sluggish responding. The display, not the actual electronics operating with the pushto encoders. Slightly stiff in the Alt direction but this was largely down to my using heavyweight EP and a powermate. If you are not going to be packing the weight onto it, it would be fine, otherwise I had to clamp it up quite tight and add counterweights at the base. 

Question, what is your budget?