Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Modified DSLR for planetary imaging?

parallaxerr

I'm pondering a new (to me) DSLR for planetary imaging with my 150mak. I don't wish to use a laptop, so I have identified the relevant Canon models with movie crop mode to access the 1:1 pixel ratio.

The question is - should I wish to image DSO also (with my refractor), it would be best for the camera to be astro modded to increase red/Ha sensitivity. Would this affect the planetary imaging? Is this a done thing or do the planetary and DSO imaging disciplines require different cameras?

TIA, Jon

15 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

For planetary you can always stick a uv/ir cut filter in the imaging train somewhere. 

Thanks for the info Craig.

In hindsight, I think I've read this before, but as usual I have melted my brain with research!

So I can use an astro modded DSLR for planetary with a UV/IR cut filter and without for DSO.....bargain 😀

• Like 1

Another question for anyone that may know - When using the movie crop mode of a Canon DSLR, am I right in saying the framing/scaling changes as in the image below? 

The green FoV is with the camera sensor at full frame and I adjsuted the the red Fov to 640x480 pixels (movie crop mode). Is this right?

Capture.JPG

Edited by parallaxerr

14 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

So I can use an astro modded DSLR for planetary with a UV/IR cut filter and without for DSO.

If only the #LPF-2 filter has been removed to increase Ha response, the remaining #LPF-1 will filter IR.

Only the white balance will have altered, easily corrected in PS etc.

Michael

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

If only the #LPF-2 filter has been removed to increase Ha response, the remaining #LPF-1 will filter IR.

Only the white balance will have altered, easily corrected in PS etc.

Michael

Thanks Michael. The particular camera I'm considering has the hot mirror removal mod leaving only the clear protector over the sensor, so I think that basically means it's full spectrum.

2 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

The particular camera I'm considering has the hot mirror removal mod leaving only the clear protector over the sensor, so I think that basically means it's full spectrum.

"Hot mirror" and "clear protector" are unfamiliar descriptions, so whether it's a Ha or Full Spectrum mod is unclear to me.

For a Refractor, and a Full Spectrum mod without any Clip-In filters, a UV-IR filter will be required.

If you are going to use Clip-In LP filters all the time, then a Full Spectrum mod would work, otherwise just the #LPF-2 Filter removal is required.

Michael