Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barlow Lens

Good morning.
An interesting purchase. I thought this scope had been discontinued 4/5 years ago. But I may be wrong.
Maybe it has been sittingo n a warehouse shelf unnoticed?

I think the first question is why a barlow? The scope FL is I think 2000mm.
This means you can easily get high magnification for visual using readily available eyepieces.
If you are trying to bring a camera to focus, that is a different situation.

Scope focal length / eyepiece focal length = magnification.
In your case 2000mm scope divided by a 5mm eyepiece gives 400x magnification. More than UK skies will take most nights.

Clear skies, David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
Additional information

I’ve always wanted one, and was not able to afford them when they first came out.

Guy had it listed as new and I was a bit Sceptical but lo and behold it was, both boxes were a wee bit tatty, but everything was boxed and still wrapped up in their original boxes and plastic.

Hoping to try my hand at some Planetary and Lunar astrophotography.

6 minutes ago, mareman48 said:

I’ve always wanted one, and was not able to afford them when they first came out.

Guy had it listed as new and I was a bit Sceptical but lo and behold it was, both boxes were a wee bit tatty, but everything was boxed and still wrapped up in their original boxes and plastic.

Hoping to try my hand at some Planetary and Lunar astrophotography.

Just curious, is that the one from ENS Optical?

Mark 🙂

My catadioptric 'scopes are slightly smaller than yours, (ETX105 and C6/SCT), and I do not bother with a Barlow lens.
Instead of looking through a straw, it is like looking through a hypodermic needle, as the FOV is narrow to begin with.

Sometimes, but not always, I may use an Astro Engineering 1.6x 'Magni-Max' instead.

15 hours ago, Louis D said:

You may want to invest in a 0.63x reducer/corrector instead for photography.  It would reduce your f-ratio to f/6.3 and focal length to 1260mm.  This would help ease your way into astrophotography with it.

Great, will look into that, thanks for the advice .