Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1396 Optolong L-Extreme Hubble Palette (my first astro image) 2600MC OSC

mrflib

Hi

This is my first image of anything so I'm sure there's a million errors which I couldn't even begin to appreciate. I couldn't get my guidescope to focus at all so this is unguided. Good polar alignment thanks to NINA's Three Point Alignment might have saved the session somewhat.

This is 49 x 120s subs through the Optolong L-Extreme Filter taken last night after I lobbed the guide scope in a bush. 11 rejected frames from me poking said guidescope while imaging (lesson learned).

Bortle 8, Dartford, UK

Altair Astro 115mm APO from 2013

0.79 TS reducer

2600MC

Pixinsight to put it together and stuff. Followed Lukomatico's noob guide and he's the man (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV6ObLVRvNk)

Some weird halos on the stars, no idea what that's about.

Framing - no idea - just told the scope to aim at it and go. Probably need to work on that strat. 

Cheers

IC1396-Hubble-Signed.png

Edited by mrflib
  • Like 13

• mrflib changed the title to IC1396 Optolong L-Extreme Hubble Palette (my first astro image) 2600MC OSC
8 hours ago, assouptro said:

If that’s your first image! I can’t wait to see what you are capable of in the months ahead! 
very nice processing, framing probably needs a bit of work but overall bloody brilliant! 

Thanks for sharing 

Bryan

Wow thanks mate, honestly it's all don to that PI tutorial I linked. And the fact the Optolong L-Extreme / 2600MC are just so outrageously good. 

Lots to learn but I'm excited to get more data. That was only 98 mins

21 minutes ago, mrflib said:

Wow thanks mate, honestly it's all don to that PI tutorial I linked. And the fact the Optolong L-Extreme / 2600MC are just so outrageously good. 

Lots to learn but I'm excited to get more data. That was only 98 mins

Nice one mate. That target was also my first ever image a couple of months back using exactly the same video.HubblestarsIC1396.thumb.png.44fc31eaeebb92711da8e46d2963d0b5.png

Here's my Elephant's Trunk using the same camera and filter, Bortle 8, and also following @Luke Newbould's excellent tutorial. Regarding halos around stars, I fix those as part of my standard workflow: after making a starless version using Starnet++, I then clean up any aberrations -- including the leftover halos -- using the clone tool in Photoshop.

697195760_ElephantTrunkwebresolution.thumb.jpg.4de9edad4e3139999966d83e3cf63889.jpg

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

The halos are caused by the filter. I've seen lots of images produced by the Lextreme and they all seem to have halos on bright stars. Small though, they don't take away from the image.

Ah right ok, thanks for this. Lee said below he photoshops them out.

2 hours ago, Lee_P said:

Here's my Elephant's Trunk using the same camera and filter, Bortle 8, and also following @Luke Newbould's excellent tutorial. Regarding halos around stars, I fix those as part of my standard workflow: after making a starless version using Starnet++, I then clean up any aberrations -- including the leftover halos -- using the clone tool in Photoshop.

697195760_ElephantTrunkwebresolution.thumb.jpg.4de9edad4e3139999966d83e3cf63889.jpg

Hey Lee - I found your website the other day. You've clearly put a lot of work in to it and it is becoming a great resource. Cheers for doing what you do. Helpin' us nubs. You capture here tells me that 90mins of data aint gonna cut it and I need to get more blue nebulosity data.

2 hours ago, nephilim said:

Nice one mate. That target was also my first ever image a couple of months back using exactly the same video.HubblestarsIC1396.thumb.png.44fc31eaeebb92711da8e46d2963d0b5.png

Dude that Samyang is just nuts. Nice one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mrflib said:

Ah right ok, thanks for this. Lee said below he photoshops them out.

Hey Lee - I found your website the other day. You've clearly put a lot of work in to it and it is becoming a great resource. Cheers for doing what you do. Helpin' us nubs. You capture here tells me that 90mins of data aint gonna cut it and I need to get more blue nebulosity data.

Dude that Samyang is just nuts. Nice one.

Its a cracking lens mate.

36 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

If you're using NINA for PA  then why not use it to frame and plate solve 

As for the guidescope,which one are you trying to use? It's either a focus or exposure issue..

Nice image, your next one will be awesome 

Hey mate

I'm hoping to use the ASIAIR I have so I can monitor it from the house. If I can't get it all to work then I can fall back to the laptop for sure. I need to work out a method of getting things framed. 

Is it possible to plate solve an existing image off of the internet and get the scope to plate solve to that to help with framing? So you kind of get the scope to where it needs to be and then manually slew to the exact place?

I'll dig around, I know I saw somthing on Telescopius.

24 minutes ago, mrflib said:

Hey mate

I'm hoping to use the ASIAIR I have so I can monitor it from the house. If I can't get it all to work then I can fall back to the laptop for sure. I need to work out a method of getting things framed. 

Is it possible to plate solve an existing image off of the internet and get the scope to plate solve to that to help with framing? So you kind of get the scope to where it needs to be and then manually slew to the exact place?

No it's far easier than that.. top left on the NINA page click on the sky atlas..type in ic1396 and press search , then press on the set for framing assistant.. make sure your camera parameters are right with your setup .. drag the box around to frame the target as you want it.. then press slew... platesolve and away you go..

Personally I use nina for framing, get the coordinates and save them in my custom file in APT and platesolve .. job done20210926_160200.thumb.jpg.4ab0bd14ea58bf8c27539df4054026f6.jpg20210926_160223.thumb.jpg.1b3bf77cad32815cb8170345dffc1b71.jpg20210926_160503.thumb.jpg.e853612d4c121eb986c7963a7f266637.jpg20210926_160648.thumb.jpg.fbb0ae200fefce11a5820cd6dd271c00.jpg20210926_160707.thumb.jpg.c6d318e5c0907062598900b0a8bcd5d8.jpg20210926_160733.thumb.jpg.501e5651e3ffd01e19c1581f61baeb12.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mrflib said:

Hey mate

If you are using the ASI AIR, try these 2 tricks for framing.

• Take a preview image and then do a long press somewhere on the the picture with your finger. ASIAIr will let you centre to where you long pressed. With practice you can centre where you like. MUCH easier than messing with cursor controls.
  • Once you are framed and have a picture, you can view it anytime in the image management section and there is an option to goto that precise location by plate solving. VERY handy if you re-visit a target you have previously framed.

Hope this helps

Edited by Catanonia
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Catanonia said:

If you are using the ASI AIR, try these 2 tricks for framing.

• Take a preview image and then do a long press somewhere on the the picture with your finger. ASIAIr will let you centre to where you long pressed. With practice you can centre where you like. MUCH easier than messing with cursor controls.
  • Once you are framed and have a picture, you can view it anytime in the image management section and there is an option to goto that precise location by plate solving. VERY handy if you re-visit a target you have previously framed.

Hope this helps

Awesome thank you for those they are going to be helpful.

My son has decided that we should try for the Bubble Nebula tonight so we'll give it a go

• Like 1