SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Optolong OIII Visual Filters...Any good?

I read that the Optolong OIII and SVBony OIII visual filters are the same filter. They have a wider bandwidth than the high end filters, more like a UHC filter but work well. I have the Orion OIII which also has the wider bandwidth but I have found it works extremely well on the Veil, Dumbbell and Owl. Never owned a premium OIII like the Lumicon, so can't compare.

• Thanks 1

I bought an Optolong HB filter in the hope of seeing the Horse Head nebula and despite many attempts have failed miserably, though I may be expecting too much with my skies here. My Astronomic O111 and UHC filters work well for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, callisto said:

Hmm the same eh, Thanks for that :thumbsup:

If your budget won't run to one of the premium models don't discount the cheaper filters. I had the Skywatcher OIII (another cheapy version) years back and in the 12" dob it was epic. Great views of the Veil from a nearby dark site. Without the filter the Veil was only just visible with averted vision. With the filter, couldn't miss it. So with your 10" dob it should be good on the right object. 

Just now, russ said:

If your budget won't run to one of the premium models don't discount the cheaper filters. I had the Skywatcher OIII (another cheapy version) years back and in the 12" dob it was epic. Great views of the Veil from a nearby dark site. Without the filter the Veil was only just visible with averted vision. With the filter, couldn't miss it. So with your 10" dob it should be good on the right object. 

Thanks again for that 👍

Do you think a UHC Filter would be better or just get a OIII?

Appreciate your opinion 🙂

Mark

The OIII is the only filter I have, for me its the only filter that makes a night and day difference. Obviously its a one trick pony, so only limited use but for the best views of the right object its essential. Once you see the Veil, especially under a dark sky, you'll know its money well spent. I just couldn't justify spending more. Perhaps if i looked through a premium one i would go straight out and buy one.

I had the Orion Ultrablock UHC 2". It was okay and definitely improved the view as well. But i looked through someone else's Baader OIII and put the Orion UHC up for sale the next day.