SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing Chair

Captain Scarlet

20 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

"Füssener Astrostuhl". Similar to the Geoptik Nadira, but with a much wider base (85x70 cm), so more security on uneven ground - doesn't topple over. I bought the "magnum" version for use with my 18", and I'm seated always safe and comfortable even at the highest position. Seat position can be adjusted in seconds without looking. Sturdy build; well balanced for moving. One of the best accessories I've ever bought. Have a look:DSC_0586.thumb.JPG.846ea8b79a1acda18720fb9061e0fe95.JPG

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/zubehoer/astronomie-zubehoer/stuehle/4888-ics-astro-stuhl-standard-grau-hoehe-90-cm-beobachterstuhl.html

Stephan

oooh, 'Tisch für ICS Astro-Stuhl' , now that's a way of doing something I'd vaguely considered adding to my home made chair.  I was thinking of a smaller hinged shelf with holes for eyepieces, but that appears to be a clipped on larger surface , with supporting metal  strut . Hmm....

Heather

Edited by Tiny Clanger
clarity
  • Like 1

Now due to this thread, I have just ordered my second Geoptik Nadira.
Had one before and sold on with other bits to raise funds, regrettd it since.
My first now resides with another on SGL, this one will remain with me.

I did a review of No.1 in 2016, how time flies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I can see you sitting in that in a relaxed way looking through your AZ100 mounted Vixen 103, Alan  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Sadly got ahead of myself as none in stock and not expected for a while.....hmmmm.
OK steps back and ponders the German alternatives.

25 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Now that's the truth on so many things..... 🤣

in my case, it was generally true that as soon as I’d buy some item of astronomy kit, the manufacturer would promptly bring out a new improved model 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Except nothing is in stock, guess where the Nadira was about to come from?

On 27/09/2021 at 16:42, wookie1965 said:

I need a chair you can adjust but one for a heavier person although I have lost 4.5stone I am still over 20st. 

Mr Wookie Sir. As a fellow heavier person, I went for one of these:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/sit-stand-stool/stagg-mt-300bk-musician-stool-tall?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a0mKwWk_jLYxseIgKSD8a-FQ_rIXwZxSB2JChec_ShdtBATcpMs5gRoC7skQAvD_BwE

Spec. claims to be good for up to 200kg or 30st. Very stable, and has a back support.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dark Vader said:

Mr Wookie Sir. As a fellow heavier person, I went for one of these:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/sit-stand-stool/stagg-mt-300bk-musician-stool-tall?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a0mKwWk_jLYxseIgKSD8a-FQ_rIXwZxSB2JChec_ShdtBATcpMs5gRoC7skQAvD_BwE

Spec. claims to be good for up to 200kg or 30st. Very stable, and has a back support.

Your a star thank you so much Mr Vader much appreciated.

Paul

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dark Vader said:

Very welcome Paul, and congrats on the err.... shrinkage. Tis something I need to do a fair bit of.

Andy

Andy, 

Still a long way to go exacerbated by on going medical problems one severe one being my back. 

I will get there slowly though I have to. 

Paul 

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 15:18, Nyctimene said:

"Füssener Astrostuhl". Similar to the Geoptik Nadira, but with a much wider base (85x70 cm), so more security on uneven ground - doesn't topple over. I bought the "magnum" version for use with my 18", and I'm seated always safe and comfortable even at the highest position. Seat position can be adjusted in seconds without looking. Sturdy build; well balanced for moving. One of the best accessories I've ever bought. Have a look:DSC_0586.thumb.JPG.846ea8b79a1acda18720fb9061e0fe95.JPG

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/zubehoer/astronomie-zubehoer/stuehle/4888-ics-astro-stuhl-standard-grau-hoehe-90-cm-beobachterstuhl.html

Stephan

Among all the available chairs in the market, the ICS Astro Stuhl and the Catsperch PRO were the only ones I considered seriously.

I eventually built my own chair as I had some spare Baltic birch plywood from the built of my 16" f4 dob and wanted to give it a go. That's all. 

So, here is mine just after finishing. It's a mix between a Denver, a Catsperch PRO, and my own tweaks. 

spacer.png

Edited by Piero
  • Like 3

On 28/09/2021 at 12:24, F15Rules said:

I also often reverse the chair "back to front" and sit astride it..sounds odd, but I find it's often very comfortable and stable

Not so uncommon; the ICS owner is shown here with an accessory for the "Füssener Astrostuhl", allowing you to mount binoculars or small telescopes/spectives (I don't own - up to now; but Christmas is coming...):

Multi-Montierungs-Aufsatz für ICS Astro-Stuhl, grau

Stephan

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

Not so uncommon; the ICS owner is shown here with an accessory for the "Füssener Astrostuhl", allowing you to mount binoculars or small telescopes/spectives (I don't own - up to now; but Christmas is coming...):

Stephan

Stop it ! My home made chair is going to have so many useful additions I'll not be able to lift it ! 🙂

Heather

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Congratulations, Magnus!

I bought mine ten years ago, and was always pleased with it. Observing seated will add a half star magnitude to your NELM; so you've added aperture (virtually) to your scope, for a good price. Clear skies, and many happy observing hours with it!

Stephan

• Like 1

Just adding a note for those reading this thread for other options for observing chairs. I have one of those Sky Watcher anti-tip observing chairs. Mine feels a bit rickety when I pick it up but it has done the job perfectly and I have been using it in the field for years and it still works exactly as it should. I agree with the comments that these chairs improve your observing acuity (and endurance).