SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing Chair

Captain Scarlet

I'm under pressure to supply a "present-link" for my upcoming wedding anniversary, or risking getting something I'll have to pretend I like. In spite of owning an enviable array of astro-stuff, I still find myself balancing, bending or stooping in various uncomfortable poses. A glaring void in my stuff-list is, therefore, an observing chair. As a self-confessed Berlebach junkie, I have to ask: Charon, Hydra II or NIX II?

Opinions, experiences and recommendations, please.

Yours, Magnus.

35 minutes ago, callisto said:

Hi John,

I've just got one of these chairs, did you make the seat yourself or purchased it?

Thanks,

Mark :)

I made it.  Used a piece of thin ply cut to the shape of the front of the seat then fitted a piece of upholstery foam and covered  it with an offcut of leather bought on eBay. Then screwed the new pad to the seat. You could use a wider bit of ply if you wanted wider seat. Of course vinyl would do but spent a few quid more for proper leather. 🙂

Seat still stores on the back pf the chair.

6E9BBB06-E779-4E30-977B-99CCC1D728FA.jpeg

D3E13C69-FB98-45A1-B264-26EF4525AA67.jpeg

756B5214-6466-4054-8CA0-5B4C388F0631.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

I'm under pressure to supply a "present-link" for my upcoming wedding anniversary, or risking getting something I'll have to pretend I like. In spite of owning an enviable array of astro-stuff, I still find myself balancing, bending or stooping in various uncomfortable poses. A glaring void in my stuff-list is, therefore, an observing chair. As a self-confessed Berlebach junkie, I have to ask: Charon, Hydra II or NIX II?

Opinions, experiences and recommendations, please.

Yours, Magnus.

Magnus, I’m shocked. You already have a very fine observing chair…… 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

Magnus, I’m shocked. You already have a very fine observing chair…… 🤣🤣

Indeed! And from a functional point of view there’s nothing wrong with it. But when I came over here there wasn’t enough room in the car for it. Until I can get it over here, a Geoptik or Berlebach will have to serve in the interim 🤣

18 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I wonder is it feasible to put the seat into the top slot?

Yes the seat will fit in any of the slots. You can also adjust the angle of the back leg for more stability.

C212923B-D6B2-43FF-950E-F805A1412B26.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

26 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Yes the seat will fit in any of the slots. You can also adjust the angle of the back leg.

C212923B-D6B2-43FF-950E-F805A1412B26.jpeg

How high is the top Slot John? Do you find yourself using it much around the top. I’m 5ft 9in so just wondering whether it’s viable. My drummers stool is great  ut I do like the idea of these from a storage POV.

2 hours ago, Andrew_B said:

How are these chairs on softer surfaces like a lawn? Are they usable and stable or do they tend to dig in and topple over?

Mine works fine on grass. Not used it in particularly boggy conditions but have not had any issues so far. Mine’s a Catsperch but I’m sure others are similar.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, johninderby said:

Or the Geoptik Nadira chair  Similar quality to the Berlebach

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/282520-geoptik-nadira-observing-chair/

I added a leather seat to mine.

36CE44E2-977C-4272-86B3-F34E47D2B39D.jpeg

+1 for the Nadira, but I agree they do need some padding, unless you carry your own with you.

Co-incidentally, I was mid-way through making my own cushion earlier when I saw your superb upholstered effort. 
I think I have an 'Astro-essentials' to your 'Nagler':

index.jpg.eb195e86602d824b3218ce68d4ef6bb8.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

+1 for the Nadira, but I agree they do need some padding, unless you carry your own with you.

Co-incidentally, I was mid-way through making my own cushion earlier when I saw your superb upholstered effort. 
I think I have an 'Astro-essentials' to your 'Nagler':

index.jpg.eb195e86602d824b3218ce68d4ef6bb8.jpg

So long as it stops the numbness that’s all that counts. 😁

• Haha 1

"Füssener Astrostuhl". Similar to the Geoptik Nadira, but with a much wider base (85x70 cm), so more security on uneven ground - doesn't topple over. I bought the "magnum" version for use with my 18", and I'm seated always safe and comfortable even at the highest position. Seat position can be adjusted in seconds without looking. Sturdy build; well balanced for moving. One of the best accessories I've ever bought. Have a look:DSC_0586.thumb.JPG.846ea8b79a1acda18720fb9061e0fe95.JPG

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/zubehoer/astronomie-zubehoer/stuehle/4888-ics-astro-stuhl-standard-grau-hoehe-90-cm-beobachterstuhl.html

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 6

On 25/09/2021 at 16:36, Space Hopper said:

"Mey" musicians  stool is what i use.

They are German, Flo used to stock them but you can still order them direct from Thomann.

I find them ideal : solid build, adjust up and down in a second and will tilt left and right.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/mey_chair_systems_af6_kl_bk.htm

22916277599_409887e22a_b.jpg

I have used one of these for a few years now and  they are excellent, but if I have one gripe, it is that it does not fold. The large footprint means  it has to be kept in the garage.  

On 25/09/2021 at 12:26, Captain Magenta said:

I wonder is it feasible to put the seat into the top slot?

Yes, you can use literally all of the slots..the lowest will require a bit of contorting to get up off the ground if you are over 40, and the highest two will benefit from a lowish step under your feet, easy to make or use.a couple of firewood logs etc.

I also often reverse the chair "back to front" and sit astride it..sounds odd, but I find it's often very comfortable and stable. I fact I was out last night with my FS128 and spent much of the session observing that way👍

Dave

• Like 2