Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old PG tips space cards

Nigella Bryant

2 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi all, came across these old PG tips space cards in a charity shop complete with book. Was in pretty good condition so bought them. Mounted the cards and now in pride of place in my hallway. I remember colleting these years ago, early 70's. 

IMG_20210925_002913.jpg

IMG_20210925_002922.jpg

IMG_20210925_002849.jpg

That looks really great 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic. I once gave a shop a whole collection to mount like this. They said that they lost them. The collection included a human Mars mission set for 1982. Based on nuclear propulsion.

20210925_092051.jpg

20210925_092117.jpg

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi all, came across these old PG tips space cards in a charity shop complete with book. Was in pretty good condition so bought them. Mounted the cards and now in pride of place in my hallway. I remember colleting these years ago, early 70's. 

IMG_20210925_002913.jpg

IMG_20210925_002922.jpg

IMG_20210925_002849.jpg

#coincidences :

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/185797-how-did-we-and-at-what-age-get-into-astronomy/?do=findComment&comment=4138509

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

They look great !

I have an old set of the Wills Cigarettes "Romance of the Heavens" cards somewhere - getting those mounted would be a nice winter project - thanks for the inspiration :smiley:

Definitely do that John. I found a mount for the cards on fleebay and the exact mount in Wilko. I'm on a mission now for things in my childhood, lol. I must be getting old, (don't say it, just think it, lol). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

They look great !

I have an old set of the Wills Cigarettes "Romance of the Heavens" cards somewhere - getting those mounted would be a nice winter project - thanks for the inspiration :smiley:

I've just come across those in good condition on fleebay so bought those to, to compliment these. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrowle said:

Wow - that looks fantastic, Nigella!

Certainly brings back memories for me too - I used to collect them as a kid, and I'm pretty sure I still have them (and the book) somewhere.

Regards, Mike.

I used to have them but lost during a house move so when I found them again I bought them with the intention of mounting them as I have. Good way to admire them instead of being in the loft. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this should be a comment here, or in the 'You know you're middle aged when ... ' thread, but those Brooke Bond tea cards  were educational ... when I quite recently started noticing new to me butterfly species when out on walks, sometimes the name popped into my brain from some dusty recess in the mental filing system,  and research at home  proved it to be correct. This was mysterious to me (I'd never read a book on butterflies as far as i could recall ) until I remembered ... tea cards ! I vaguely recall my dad solemnly sticking the things in the albums, certainly British butterflies, I think also tropical birds , and maybe wild animals ? It's a bit hazy, I think I must have been 6 or younger.

Compare & contrast (as the 'A'  level questions used to say) with the current promotional  give away stickers/cards etc, which are usually film promotional tie ins or similar. 

Heather

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I've just come across those in good condition on fleebay so bought those to, to compliment these. 

I love both the artwork on them and the notes on the back of the cards. In many cases they really emphasize how far our understanding has come since they were issued in 1928 :smiley:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Not sure if this should be a comment here, or in the 'You know you're middle aged when ... ' thread, but those Brooke Bond tea cards  were educational ... when I quite recently started noticing new to me butterfly species when out on walks, sometimes the name popped into my brain from some dusty recess in the mental filing system,  and research at home  proved it to be correct. This was mysterious to me (I'd never read a book on butterflies as far as i could recall ) until I remembered ... tea cards ! I vaguely recall my dad solemnly sticking the things in the albums, certainly British butterflies, I think also tropical birds , and maybe wild animals ? It's a bit hazy, I think I must have been 6 or younger.

Compare & contrast (as the 'A'  level questions used to say) with the current promotional  give away stickers/cards etc, which are usually film promotional tie ins or similar. 

Heather

Yes Heather, definitely educational and definitely middle aged, lol. 

• Haha 2