Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader’s Quark

Highburymark

Interesting new H-alpha product from Baader/Solar Spectrum: Sundancer II - a Quark-like filter that can be slotted into a standard refractor. Pros: the etalons should be better quality than most Quarks. More adaptable too. Cons: price - almost £3k. See FLO or Widescreen Centre websites. 

• Like 3

F/30 on my 150mm? Not likely! It would put impossible demands on my typical seeing conditions.
I can't even add a 2x 'Shorty' Barlow to my PST mod. Have to make do with 'wimpy' GPCs on the nose of my '174.  :blush:

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Not sure why it requires an ERF upwards of 80mm when a quark requires it after 100mm if I’m correct. 

The Daystar website says 80mm or above should use ERFs w Quarks, but if I remember correctly it can just be a (probably 2") UV-IR filter on the front of the diagonal rather than a full D-ERF?  Figure the same ought to apply to this new gizmo as well?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vineyard said:

The Daystar website says 80mm or above should use ERFs w Quarks, but if I remember correctly it can just be a (probably 2") UV-IR filter on the front of the diagonal rather than a full D-ERF?  Figure the same ought to apply to this new gizmo as well?

This seems correct, I believe I called them once regarding this and was told that a diagonal mounted ERF was fine from 80mm to 100mm, above that a front mounted ERF would be required.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vineyard said:

I think the Baader 35nm Ha 2” filter is likely the best, effectively a mini D-ERF I believe.

• Like 1