Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeing how much I can push the RASA8 and ZWO 2600MC Pro - Veil Nebula in only 2x 30min images

Catanonia

In the winter, I am wanting to do a 12 panel mosaic of the Orion region with the RASA 8 and so I am using the summer / autumn months to test out the capabilities of the RASA8 / ZWO 2600MC Pro / ASI Air Pro combination. I am learning how quick this setup can capture images and the best workflow to use with the limited time available in my backyard.

So tricks I have learnt with the ASI Air Pro

• Plane mosaics with https://telescopius.com/telescope-simulator and export the CSV. The CSV can be imported directly into the ASI Air Pro as a plan.
  • On the ASI Air Pro, you can long press on an image to centre on a star and it will Goto on where you pressed. - A much simpler way than using the cursor keys to move the scope.
  • Viewing an image on the ASI Air, you can press goto and it will plate solve and goto  that location. Brilliant if you want to re-visit and shot the same image at a later date and it will be all framed the same.

So how quick can a RASA produce a quick and dirty 2 panel mosaic.

Well in 1 hour, I got this 2 panel mosaic

• 7x 4min x2 bin subs for each pane = approx 30mins per pane
  • Bortle 6 skies
  • Full Moon
  • lEnhance 2 inch filter
  • RASA 8
  • ZWO 2600 MC Pro
  • NEQ6 Pro Mount

I deliberately used 2x bin to speed up the learning process and there would be about 20% improvement on resolution if I used 1xbin (tested this the other night). And of course I could do more subs, on a moonless night, but wow !!!! This RASA is a beast when combined with the 2600MC

Viel Mosaic.jpg