Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Takahashi and Binoviewers

I frequently use WO Binoviewers with my Tak 100DC. I need the 1.6 GPC on the scope side of the diagonal to achieve focus (so I can't use my much loved Tak diagonal - it has no thread). I also use the x2 GPC (if that's the right term) on the nose of the Binoviewers for higher power viewing. 

I'm just wondering if anyone uses a different arrangement?

I find the attachment of the diagonal to the ocular adapter a less than perfect connection. It's hard to get it really secure. It's a SW dielectric diagonal.

Thanks,

Malcolm

Highburymark's suggestion of removing the section ahead of the focuser is your best option but part of the problem is that your SkyWatcher mirror diagonal will have a much longer optical path than your excellent little Tak prism. I had a similar problem trying to use my StellaMira mirror diagonal with my FS-60CB / FC-76DCU and I ended up using the entry level Baader T-2 prism. I attached a nosepiece which has a 1.25" thread but I could probably have threaded it onto the scope directly using an appropriate adaptor.

Edited by Andrew_B

8 hours ago, Highburymark said:

You know you can unscrew the green section ahead of the focuser to shorten the light path for binoviewers? Makes things more flexible. Pic shows FC-100DC with sectioned removed next to TSA-120. 

59EFAF3F-0D14-430B-9019-0B1DFADC365F.jpeg

That's an interesting suggestion thanks. If I unscrewed the focuser for binoviewer use, would that then require extra bits to extend the light path if I wanted to use a conventional eyepiece with the focuser removed?

Many thanks,

Malcolm

4 hours ago, Andrew_B said:

Highburymark's suggestion of removing the section ahead of the focuser is your best option but part of the problem is that your SkyWatcher mirror diagonal will have a much longer optical path than your excellent little Tak prism. I had a similar problem trying to use my StellaMira mirror diagonal with my FS-60CB / FC-76DCU and I ended up using the entry level Baader T-2 prism. I attached a nosepiece which has a 1.25" thread but I could probably have threaded it onto the scope directly using an appropriate adaptor.

Thanks for that. Coincidentally I had just ordered the Baader prism so I'll give that a go.

Malcolm

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 08:18, MalcolmM said:

That's an interesting suggestion thanks. If I unscrewed the focuser for binoviewer use, would that then require extra bits to extend the light path if I wanted to use a conventional eyepiece with the focuser removed?

Many thanks,

Malcolm

Late replying to this, apologies.

I think most conventional eyepieces still come to focus with the shortened tube. One thing though - If you’re swapping around from one ep to binoviewers regularly, you might need to adjust the balancing of the tube a bit - I had a heavy pair of binoviewers, and as you know the OTA is incredibly light. Good thing about the Tak tube clamps is they make adjustments easy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1